Forums

Help › Forums

Kevin Na at the Players

Mon, May 14 2012 4:08 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 12:12 AM

Guy is playing very well, but watching him address the ball and try to swing is painful.  He burns more energy with his waggling trying to pull the trigger than Willie Stargell used to batting for the Pirates.  I am afraid to think that a stroke penalty for a bad time might come into the scoring for this tournament.  

• scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 4:51 AM

been enjoying watching fowler and fellow scot martin laird. tough course but some great stuff being played.

• KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 6:51 AM

I will be shocked if Na wins today. Fighting those demons in his head yesterday and playing well was absolutely astonishing! He couldn't even hit his tee shot on the first tee and I thought he was finished then but he some how put up a 68. I haven't seen anything like that from local hacks or amateurs in my personal life! I feel a little bad for him but I think he will majorly crash and burn today. It will be something to see as painful as it may be!

HAWK

• DarkenRahl
    2,115 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 6:19 PM

Na's crash and burn was rather painful, but Kuchar played very well despite it.  A well deserved win and hopefully a springboard to further success.  He (Kuchar)  finished 14th as an amateur the last time the US Open was at Olympic, could be a good return if he plays like he did this tournament.

• scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 6:29 PM

a good watch.matt played solid.my man laird had a good round finished well doing his ryder cup chances good indeed.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Sun, May 13 2012 10:03 PM

DarkenRahl:
    watching him address the ball and try to swing is painful

My wife and I were jokin about the time he was taking to shoot:"Is he gonna hit it? NA

Will he swing this time? NAH

But seriouly, I don't think Johnny Miller (a faster player in his day) appreciated his slow play at all in fact I really think It was pissin him off by the sound of his voice.

I understand that the amatuar doesn't experience what they do on a golf course. But there really is a limit to how much time a player should get and there is a penalty rule.

Saw an interview with Fluff McCowen a while back & he said that 'slow play' is the number one problem in the PGA. Sometimes taking 5 hrs or more to shoot 18 holes.

So I can see why official keep a keen eye on a real slow player & they should speed that up however they can.

But a BIG COngrats to a great guy and great golfer Matt Kutcher. I knew that it would not be long and he would win a big one and he did. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy..

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 8:15 AM

I think Na will eventually overcome all that business. He seems like a pretty smart kid with a lot of potential and has to know that that indecision at address is going to really hurt  him if he don't deal and just plain stop it altogether. But actually, Jason Duffner's waggling, even without the Na squirreliness bugs me more.

• scottishbloke
    1,277 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 9:33 AM

AGArgent:

I think Na will eventually overcome all that business. He seems like a pretty smart kid with a lot of potential and has to know that that indecision at address is going to really hurt  him if he don't deal and just plain stop it altogether. But actually, Jason Duffner's waggling, even without the Na squirreliness bugs me more.

AGArgent:

i feel the same when i watch furyk, but it works.

• AGArgent
    343 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 10:35 AM

Furyk? Yeah, right. I forgot about his back-off- the -ball -after- the- initial address routine but it seems more deliberate and just part of his process, his rythym. By the way, did anybody know that Kevin Na's father is, of course, named Na but his grandfather, strangely, is named Sha and they have family reunions at Woodstock? Oh, never mind.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, May 14 2012 11:00 AM

Johnny Miller said it perfectly - if he has the 'heebie jeebies' at his young age, he wont last long on tour unless he figures out a way to conquer his demons. The difference in attitude, which you could see on their faces, between Kooch and Na was palpable. Na, nervous, rarely smiled, while Kuchar had a perpetual "What me worry" grin. Na was wearing his fear of a bad shot so long he finally started making almost nothing but. Kooch hits an impossible shot from the sand over the trees on back 9 to make an easy par on a tough hole, just cause he had no fear of the shot. A life lesson in all of it. 

• PAGES
RSS