Help › Forums

Recommened Wedge Set?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:38 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Shadowhawk1967
    31 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 8:48 AM

I just purchased the Ping Rapture V2 set but as it it only came with PW I am left using the WGT starter SW and LW.

I need to improve my short approach shots and need a set of wedges to compliment the Raptures that have a comparable swing speed meter.

Also I need these clubs to last me long into the Master tier should I make.

Using my new Raptures, I played St Andrews and shot 34, 4 birdies, 2 dropped shots and an eagle putt on 9 that came up 2 foot short.

I am really impressed with the Raptures but what wedges would you recommend for my bag.

Thanks in advance.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:56 PM

Unfortunately all of the wedges have pretty quick meters.  Just take a look into the good players' bag's and see what they are using.  I would recommend a 54,60, and 64.  The 64 IMO, is a must have and will transform your game.

Good luck!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 1:17 PM

^^^What he said. Go for the Satins, they're better in the wind.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 1:32 PM

64 degree, 60yd max is a must in my opinion, full shot 60yds, punch shot 49yds.  It makes anything from 40 yds to 60yds very straight forward, and it works awesome for bunker shots close to the green.  It also allows the 19yd flop shot, and 7yd chips shots.  But as previously mentioned, the improved wedges have faster meters, but once you hit Master tier, and upgrade driver and irons, that will be the norm anyway.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 2:30 PM

I use the Ping Tour w pro wedges. 56 60 and 64. They have slightly more precision the the Satins. 4 for the Pings 3 1/2 for the Satins. But slightly less spin. The swing meter speed is about the same. But faster than the raptures. The master clubs that I have looked at have faster meters as well but that could change if they bring out a master rapture set. And as neil said the 64 degree is a must. I also use it from the heavy rough with the punch shot and it works very well.

• Shadowhawk1967
    31 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 3:42 PM

Many thanks for the replies.  I was pretty sold on the 64 degree Satin wedge until the Ping Tour was mentioned.  I am only using the free balls at the moment (pretty hard decision for me to spend money on balls that only last a limited amount of time)

The precision aspect of the Ping Tour has me thinking those might be good for me as I don't seem to get any backspin off the freebie balls.

Desicions decisions :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 3:59 PM

I really wonder, at this point, if anyone can advise with certainty. I have been on a wedge buying binge of late, haven't got to the Taylor line yet, I will, but the wedge line-up we have is so diverse with capabilites, I doubt anyone here knows which are the right. One size never fits all.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 5:14 PM

In the WGT wedge business, Pro = Master.  There is no advantage to the Master clubs as the ratings are the same.  The only difference is the yardage travelled.  The Masters go 10 yards further and cost 50 credits more.  The performance is the same.

And in addition to Pro = Master, PING and TM are pretty much interchangeable as far as performance.  The half dots don't matter that much in the grand scheme if things.  So it really just becomes a matter filling your gaps with distance intervals your comfortable hitting to.

If I were you I'd pull the hybrid for the most part, and get 3 Pro level wedges.

A 64, a 60 and either a 54 or 56.

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 6:18 PM
    neils on the money>>
  • TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:02 PM

SweetiePie:

I really wonder, at this point, if anyone can advise with certainty. I have been on a wedge buying binge of late, haven't got to the Taylor line yet, I will, but the wedge line-up we have is so diverse with capabilites, I doubt anyone here knows which are the right. One size never fits all.

So very,very true Sweetiepie, and if i might add, the 64 degree wedge is NOT a must.

• PAGES
RSS