Forums

Help › Forums

Fan steals Tiger's ball

Fri, May 25 2012 1:11 AM (20 replies)
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Fri, May 4 2012 9:04 PM

Did you see the incident where a fan supposedly pocketed Tiger's ball when no one was looking today? My feeling is since no one actually watched the guy physically take the ball it should have been treated as a lost ball. Instead they let Tiger play from where they thought the ball should have been.

Your thoughts?

• Topcat488
    172 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 1:00 AM

WGT should learn from this example... Fair play, it didn't help Tigers game any, but at least it saved him $1.50, for a new nike ball.

• manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 5:14 AM

methinks he may have been given the benefit of the doubt, not sure anyone else would have been accorded the same benefit

• KJHAWK2
    567 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 6:13 AM

A strange scenario for sure for a crappy 2 rounds of golf for him anyway. Does anybody remember when he was able to have that giant boulder moved in Arizona a few years back? Now that was something I have never seen before!

HAWK

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 6:18 AM

Rule 18.1 Outside Agency states that the stolen ball should be replaced with another ball from where the stolen ball would have been. Rules were followed to the letter of the law.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 6:31 AM

From what I can see  this goes back as far as 1940 if you believe this (Rule 5).......   ;-)

Courtesy of CC mate Pete0805.

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 6:44 AM

There is nothing like a good round on a municipal course LOL.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 7:23 AM

After reading more about the incident this morning, I've changed my mind. When I originally posted I was under the impression that it was based on the observations of only one spectator. Apparently other spectators confirmed the man's observations. In that case I now believe the free drop was the correct ruling.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 7:54 AM

YankeeJim:

From what I can this goes back as far as 1940 if you believe this (Rule 5).......   ;-)

just what I ALWAYS wanted to do, golf with a steel helmet and flak jacket

and dodging bombs. sounds like fun. maybe when the ball stops .01 in from the cup a bomb will explode, but with my luck it would roll ba$$wards

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, May 5 2012 8:52 PM

Ihatecheats:

Rule 18.1 Outside Agency states that the stolen ball should be replaced with another ball from where the stolen ball would have been. Rules were followed to the letter of the law.

It was never verified the ball was stolen rather than lost in the rough. Tiger received preferential treatment that would have been given to no other player. Fans reported seeing the ball land and bounce, but no one saw it come to rest. It should have been a lost ball, 1 stroke penalty.

RSS