Forums

Help › Forums

taking 3 wood out of the bag at St. Andrews

Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:07 AM (28 replies)
  • claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 9:26 PM

I carry a 3W every round, 3 wedges every round. But hey, I'm just a hack. Carry what you want, if you need a MPC round, send invite! :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Mar 28 2010 10:52 PM

claremoreblue:

I carry a 3W every round, 3 wedges every round. But hey, I'm just a hack. Carry what you want, if you need a MPC round, send invite! :)

That is funny...one of our very best, a hack...LOL...but to the question, which wedges? We have so many available, each with unique personality and traits that only time and experience can identify. Also, I find the wind to be in direct opposition to what I choose...that is to say, if I go with the 3 wood-3wedge gig, I don't need the 3 wood. If I play with out it, and go with 4 wedges, I will need the 3 wood and use only 2 wedges...good question, unknown answer.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 5:27 AM

The More I think about I have realized there a much better solution to the question. The driver is not really needed as much at St. Andrews as it is at BPB and Kiawah Island so I might opt to take it out there and add the 4th wedge and keep the 3 wood to use as my driver.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 5:30 AM

Great idea, born-then you can forget the wedges because you'll need the longer irons to reach the green instead. Not! Trade the 3W for an HB instead or follow Claremore's lead.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 6:13 AM

Although I have never thought about it, replacing 3w with a wedge would make sense for SA. I don't think I have ever used the 3w off the deck there. Of course if they add the back 9, it may be required...don't know.

I actually own 5 of the better wedges, might as well give it a try

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 7:09 AM

I would nmever drop the driver, as someone just mentioned.  In your face winds make reaching the fairway on a few holes impossible, plus you are that much further hitting in the greens.  I am holding on to my 3 wood, 3 wedges, with 3 punch options is more than enough for me.  a 4th wedge in the 105yd range, is overkill in my mind, I got the 105yd PW down pretty good now.  Plus down wind over 20mph, will get you on the green with a 3 wood on #9, which to me is easier than choking down on the grip of a driver.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:38 AM
    the punch shot covers all the wedge gaps quite nice, there is no punch 3wd gap.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:51 AM

NormH3:
    I actually own 5 of the better wedges, might as well give it a try

Norm-I do this on all the courses, susbstituting an HB for a wedge in high winds. There's 2 schools of thought here. Neil and JB like the 3W while I like the 105 yd wedge. It fits nicely with the G10s and the TMs. JBs right about the 3W punch gap thing but the 3i with topspin comes real close-close enough to get that eagle try on the par 5 1/2 the time.

At SA it affects 1 hole-the par 5. If you accept an automatic birdie there with an occasional flirt with an eagle then go the 5 wedges. If you want every try there to be an eagle try then go with the 3W and hope the wind is friendly. On #9 hitting that green is not hard-getting a reasonable eagle putt is. Given the erratic wind conditions there I wouldn't consider the 3Ws worth on that hole. JMO

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 9:49 AM

Of course if they offered one club which no one uses anymore the 1 iron that is what I would put in place of the driver and 3 wood at St.Andrews. But because no one not even the PGA pros use the 1 iron anymore I don't see that happening. No one uses it except me. I am 63 now and have had one in my bag since I was 14.  

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 5:32 PM

I carry both a 3W and 3 Hybrid at St.A.

I hit both off the tee as much as I do off the deck.

RSS