Forums

Help › Forums

r9 Irons: hard to hit

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:06 PM (5 replies)
  • smason77
    464 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 1:30 PM

I had been using WGT tour pro irons with some success but decided to pony up for some better irons. I went with the r9 because I liked the club specs especially precision and spin. However it seems like i've actually lost distance on each club in actual gameplay.

For example on holes where I was once able to make it on the green with say a WGTpro 7 iron.. i now need to use the r9 6 iron to get there. Perhaps i'm doing something wrong...

Also the r9 specs show that they are only half a bubble less forgiving than the WGT tour pro. Yet when i slightly miss the excellent mark the ball takes off a good 8-10 yards in that direction.

I've only been playing them for 3 days now. Not saying that they're no good.. maybe i'm just a litte impatient and need to get use to them. 

Anybody else have difficulties with r9 irons?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 11:59 AM

It's the trajectory. If you want to play TMs you have to think low and hard vs the TourStarters and the Pings where you come in high and land soft. I played TMs for 8 months and they work fine if you think this way. The biggest problem you will have, and you saw it in your example, is that with the lower ball flight some of the elevations won't let you get there. Your Tour Starter has a high trajectory. The R9s have med/high.

As an example, if an R9 is rated to go say 175 this means it might land at 165 and roll 10. With the same distance in a lofted club it might land at 170 and roll 5. (I don't know the actual R9 #s). The key is the elevation. They should rock at SA because it's flat but the other 2 courses are going to give you a bit of trouble on a few holes, like BPB 5.Wind has a bigger affect on the lofted clubs because it's in the air longer while the R9s tend to "blast" through it.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 12:15 PM

The R9 iron set maxes out at a distance of 202.  That's not long enough to warrant buying the set IMO.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:00 PM

He's hitting from the whites, Oak. 

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:03 PM

Noted Jim.  He's also spending time in a padded white room.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 1:06 PM

LMAO-Coulda called that one. I think it was alcohol induced.

RSS