Forums

Help › Forums

Re: what is the best driver to buy

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:02 AM (7 replies)
  • Taddo3
    1 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 9:07 AM

what is the best driver to buy for a noob w only about 1200 credits? or should i buy a set of irons?

• hawgy
    79 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 10:01 AM

get a driver and some wedges first then irons

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 10:12 AM

None, IMHO, or any that you like.

At level 30, there aren't any good drivers available, and as an Amateur, you may well do without it.

Level up without buying anything as long as you can, then buy the best you can afford.

I am a Tour Pro and still do well with only the lvl 47 Rapture 3WD, outdriving many lvl 30 drivers, at 1/3 the costs.

One or two wedges may improve your game. Others suggest the lvl38+ ZSatin series (I have one, very nice).

And maybe a ball, e.g. the WTG tour-SD balls, if you don't mind the steady expenses.

• singingjesus
    152 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 12:00 PM

Taddo3:

what is the best driver to buy for a noob w only about 1200 credits? or should i buy a set of irons?

Tough question . . . you really need to play more ranked rounds and level up, but Alosso's words are all true. I know now, in hindsight, I'd probably be tempted to buy these; Burner Plus Iron Set (Steel) (L27+, because they'd be such and improvement over the starter irons. But I actually used the starter irons up to Master tier, but then got the Ping G 10's which quickly (sort of) got me to Tour Master. I also had gotten the Daytona putter (795 credits I believe) and a set of 3 TM wedges along the way, ditching the 'rescue' wood. Do more surveys and watch more ads to earn free credits. But play more ranked rounds!

sj

• BillyTBudMan
    100 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 1:16 PM

Save up a few more credits and buy the R11.  Then you wont have to buy another Driver until you are a high enough level to get the 275 yard R9 or comparable.  The R11 plays longer than it says and is the easiest club to "ding" in the game.  In my opinion Club purchases should be as follows...Driver...Wedges...Putter...Irons / 3wd.  A driver gets you more off the tee, which in turn lowers your approach distances (which if they are short enough you can use wedges instead of irons).  Even still, being closer to the green for the second shot allows you to used loftier irons, which gives you a better chance at hitting the ball closer to the pin.  After a driver, i personally think wedges are next on the list, as they will help shorten that distance to the pin stat, and will still allow you to use a beginner/starter putter so long as you are within 15 feet.  The putter is the next most important club purchase IMO as the starter putter is good for just that...starters.  In my experience that putter didn't drain too many putts outside of 15'.  Its just not that accurate. Irons are next, something with a slow meter.  Lastly any type of wood or hybrid, as they come into play the least of any other club in the game.

• Turnabout945
    85 Posts
    Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:42 PM

That pro driver that esssy mentioned is a phenomenal buy.  look at the g10 irons at L35....another great bargain, and look at some wedges, too.  

I think this thread will help you a lot: http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/72948.aspx

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:02 AM

R11 "s" ?

RSS