Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Members playing Wrong Tourneys - help required.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 5 2012 9:22 PM (7 replies)
  • AJRoberts
    1,276 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:16 AM

Hey all,

My CC was newly formed in December and I'd got 30 members - of all tiers! Until last week  we did one Stroke play Tourney a week - only it was obvious that the same players would be in contention week in week out.

Therefore - this last week, I set up two Tourneys - one for tiers Legend, Master and Tour Pro, and one for Pro, Amateur and Hack.

Unfortunately two of my players (A Master and Tour Pro) played in the wrong tournament and occupy first and second place - this has obviously peed off the lads lower down the tiers and five players have left the CC!

That's fair enough - but how can I make sure that this doesn't happen again? When I set up the Tourneys (they are free to enter so maybe this has something to do with it) I couldn't find a way of ensuring the better players didn't enter the lower tiered Tourney!  Any solutions?

AJRoberts (AJRoberts and Friends CC)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:23 PM

There's a very annoying problem right now with CC tournament conditions. There are no Legend conditions!! Go figure. WGT is aware of it and allegedly addressing it. Meanwhile, averages plummet and the TMs and Masters get hosed. I'm not sure how it affects everything else but I'm sure there's another CC owner that does.  Stay tuned.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:55 PM

For tier-specific tourneys, title them as such: "Tour Pros Only!!!!" instead of "Weekend at St. Andy's" or whatever; if you have 1 for each tier, you should have far fewer problems.

If you are awarding prizes (always a good way to drum up interest, even if it's only 10 cr. balls) award them no matter who's on the leaderboard. In other words, a Legend may have the lowest score, but the lowest-scoring Amateur gets the prize. Post a message in the forum: "Everyone is free to play, but only x players are competing for the prize." 

You can also devise a handicap system. This takes a lot of work but is great for newer players.

Right now our cc is doing a lot of team events, where legends, TM, and master or below, 1 of each on each team, compete together with combined scores.

Although the player on top of the leaderboard gets a WGT trophy, you can award your own virtual trophies and medals... there are (free) Web sites where you can "engrave" them; or you can do it yourself with a photo and a graphics program.... post them on players' walls. 

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Wed, Feb 1 2012 3:13 PM

you could also post a separate leaderboard in your cc forum where you divide tiers up into different leagues perhaps.   Everyone could play the same tournament but split up scores and post "actual" leaderboard in the forum. 

• BogeyOne
    1,967 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:01 PM

We tried this in the Senior Citizens country club.  Gave it several tier specific tourneys spanning a couple of weeks.  Got the same results you did.  Why?  Because the majority do not look for, and subsequently don't see, any rules.  They just mindlessly enter, hit the ball, and vacate.  What a shame.  We discontinued the tier specific tourneys because of this.  Don't count on anyone reading anything.

• labordayk
    389 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 5:58 PM

I tried having a tiered tourney once.  Like everyone else's - a disaster.

People expect that if they aren't supposed to do something, then the system won't let them do it.  The system won't let you play a single play tourney twice.  The system won't let you play a monthly championship, unless you qualify.  The system won't let you buy clubs above your level.  Etc.

The only way to have tiered CC tourneys without a big mess, is for WGT to put the option into the system, so the system will automatically exclude those who aren't in the correct tier.

What I do sometimes is give tiered prizes in tourneys open to everyone, and just manually find and award the top players of the tiers within the tournament.

• happyman123uk
    1,242 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 3:14 PM

Do what i do send them a letter saying if the continue to play in wrong games i will remove you from the club it's only fair on other members that stick by the rules .1 of 3 things will happen they will listen or they leave or get booted .Why should a few  members make a mess of your club forcing other members to leave.

• HARDWATER
    330 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2012 9:22 PM

FREE TOURNEYS are no- prob  .It happens with the best of members !

Try This:

(HACKS ONLY ) and so on ,it seems to help .

For Premium games .I cant help you there .Members out of tier that enter need to be removed from the club by the rules set down by the owner !

Any contest for a free game involving tiers ,you can just override the ones that dont qualify

RSS