Help › Forums

Re: multiplayer game criteria.

Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:31 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jun 19 2010 10:17 PM

YOQUESWEDEN:
    Would he lose a lot in ranking if he lost to an amateur and maybe quit because of that? Did I lose in ranking compared to if he had finished the game and I had won?

Hi YOQUE,

Multiplayer stroke play is not recorded as a player vs player thing, so there is no ranking to win or lose.  The player you were playing against was probably looking to keep his scoring average low so he disconnected in order to avoid posting the higher score.  This generally is a futile practice for Master Tier players because there is no reward or top 10 list for having the lowest scoring average.

The only game mode where you have to worry about wins and losses is during Match Play.  In that case when a player disconnects you'll be returned to the lobby and the disconnected player gets 5 minutes to return or automatically forfeits the match.  If they disconnect 3 times during the match they forfeit as well.

We do have reputation tracking on our roadmap which will let you see a player's game completion rate before teeing off.  This way you'll know if someone has a tendency to drop out of their games and thus, you have the choice to avoid playing with them if it's something that bothers you.

• YOQUESWEDEN
    6 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 2:16 PM

OK, it has happened more than once that a pro has quit on the last hole in a clear lead before their last (?) put, obviously not happy with their score. Not that fun.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 7:05 PM

YOQUESWEDEN:

OK, it has happened more than once that a pro has quit on the last hole in a clear lead before their last (?) put, obviously not happy with their score. Not that fun.

more then likely protecting that "sacred" average!

cheers

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jun 25 2010 5:12 AM

I'd just like to express my extreme displeasure that WGT still has not fixed this issue.

Instead, all I hear is that this is a "feature" and it's supposed to do this.   Yes, searching for a MP game where I specifically try to filter for only Masters or Pro+ should land me in a game with a Hack with a 150 average.

What a bunch of crap.

Quite frankly, if you cannot fix this issue, then just REMOVE the feature to search by tier.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:31 PM

We purposefully errored on the side of finding a game with someone as opposed to not finding a game with anyone.  It does search for your specified criteria first, but if nothing can be found it releases your criteria and places you with any game.

The thing we wanted to avoid in the beginning was new players searching for a game, not finding anything because of search restrictions and thinking the game was unpopulated or that no one was playing multiplayer and thus leaving the site entirely.

The system in place now is the same system that was in place when multiplayer first began.  We didn't have nearly as many users 2 years ago and finding a game was difficult at times.  This was the proper way to handle it so folks found games instead of finding no games. 

It's not broken.  It is doing what it was intended to do, however, since the system was developed a while ago for use with a smaller user base it was programmed with the concerns that were relevant at that time.  I have brought it to their attention a couple of times and that's about all I can do at this point.  It's a rather tight programming schedule, so it's just a matter of finding the time to work it into the already busy schedule.  I'm not promising any immediate results, but the matchmaking system will be updated and improved as it becomes necessary just as many of the other features have.

• PAGES
RSS