Forums

Help › Forums

Re: WHAT to use around the greens?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 31 2009 8:14 PM (6 replies)
  • Knighton
    35 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 4:10 PM

Whether i'm in the bunker, or in the rough, or right off the fringe... what are u guys using to get up and down?

If i'm in the bunker w/ an ok lie I somehow manage to stay in that damn bunker.... whats the easiest way to get up and down from a green side bunker?

Also if im right off the green in the fringe, or the first cut of rough, what is the easiest way to get up and down from there and how much distance etc...?

If im in the rough a few yards off the green, whats the easiest way to NOT chunk it and it go 3 feet and stay in the rough...?

With all these questions, i'm just trying to shave a few strokes off my game, if you guys could help me with some advice/distance control/ etc...

I've read a few threads and still manage to find trouble trying to get up and down...

Should i be hitting full shots out of there or what?

Thanks a ton,

Tyler Knighton

• Knighton
    35 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 4:24 PM

Anyone have any input?

-Tyler

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 5:07 PM

Edited:

What you are experiencing is probably the hardest thing to master in this game.  You might be trying too hard to get the ball close and not hitting it hard enough.  Its better to be on the green with a longish putt  (A good miss) than staying in the bunker or only moving the ball a few feet.  Go to the practice games and try different shots until you get the right feel for those clubs...and try the flop, punch and other functions as well.  I have had some success with full shots, using less power, as well.    

I have not used any Ping wedges, but I do use the Satin 64 60 that is in your bag.  I think that was one of the best investments I ever made.  The gaps between your wedges seem about right for your iron set...keep that in mind if you upgrade in the future.  Using two 54's would be confusing to me but I understand why you have them as they go different distances. 

Joey

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 5:13 PM

Knighton:

Whether i'm in the bunker, or in the rough, or right off the fringe... what are u guys using to get up and down?

If i'm in the bunker w/ an ok lie I somehow manage to stay in that damn bunker.... whats the easiest way to get up and down from a green side bunker?

I will assume here that you;re talking near the greens. A flop shot is a fantastic way to get out. Just remember that you must aim well left of where you want the ball to land because a flop leaves your club face wide open.

If in the rough anywhere else, a punch shot works wonders.

The best advice I have for you on the rest of your questions is this: Equip a free ball, go drive your way near a green. Shoot the ball onto the green and then knock it back off with your putter. I spent several days doing this and it helped me immensly.

Good Luck to you!

GD

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 5:15 PM

Hi Tyler,

The search box in the forums is the first place to go to see what you can find on an issue. If you cant find anything there, then by all means post. There is a heap of info in there on your questions, so have a look  first. Keywords in the search box -------> left eg chipping, pitching, putting etc etc etc

As far as your question goes  - they are far to broad and will will take a lot to respond to in a single post. They have all been discussed ad infinitum in the forums over the years so have a go there first and see what you can find.

Then hit the practice fairways - there is no fast way to learn everything here, so its practice practice practice I'm afraid. 

Happy hitting

Cheers Doug

• Knighton
    35 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:48 PM

Thanks a ton guys, thanks doug..

-Tyler

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 8:14 PM

In the faq section over there--------------->

Read the chip and pitch tips. This is written by Iconian, a very good player here.

Read and practice.....repeat.....repeat.....repeat........

Have fun.

RSS