Help › Forums

Re: Linux users question - Latest update version won't load correctly on Steam

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 3 2023 4:26 AM (7 replies)
  • FatFace68
    80 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 3:54 AM

TcwJBJM

I know WGT doesn't support officially Linux, but thanks to proton it works perfectly and I've been playing on Linux on Steam for a few years now. However, since the latest update all I get is a screen like this (click link). The game has loaded because if I click around the screen I can hear the noise of clicking on the home screen. If I drop down to proton 7 or below, it loads, but the game play is beyond dreadful. Choppy as hell and completely unusable. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't help.My other games on Steam all work as they should.

Any other Linux users having an issue? Any help or advice would be great.

Andy

• WGTShamWow
    908 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 10:44 AM

Unfortunately there wouldn't be any official support for Linux. Personally I do use a SteamDeck which is Linux based and I believe their latest update is using Proton 8 and I haven't had any issues. I know the latest update for our game came with a Unity update, and they are no longer supporting some older versions of Ubuntu (18.4 I believe is the oldest version supported) as well as older versions of OSX (10.13.6 and older are no longer supported), so that may have something to do with it. 

I use ProtonUp-QT on my SteamDeck to download newer versions of Proton than what Steam supports if games do not work correctly, not sure if this would help you. 

Best,
    WGTShamWow

• FatFace68
    80 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 4:18 PM

I've tried various versions of Proton and ProtonUp. As I said, if I go 7 or lower, it loads but the game is unplayable. Anything 8.0 and up, the game loads as I can hear the music, but all I see is the green and black screen shown in the pic linked. 

I use KDE (same as the SteamDeck) on Arch Linux. Everything is kept up to date. All other games on Steam work as they should. It's only WGT that I have an issue with. Before this latest update it was solid as a rock. Is there anyway to roll back the update?

• WGTShamWow
    908 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 5:30 PM

FatFace68:

I've tried various versions of Proton and ProtonUp. As I said, if I go 7 or lower, it loads but the game is unplayable. Anything 8.0 and up, the game loads as I can hear the music, but all I see is the green and black screen shown in the pic linked. 

I use KDE (same as the SteamDeck) on Arch Linux. Everything is kept up to date. All other games on Steam work as they should. It's only WGT that I have an issue with. Before this latest update it was solid as a rock. Is there anyway to roll back the update?

Unfortunately as the last update contained a mandatory Unity update, the older install wouldn't be available. There was an issue with the updater on OSX (related to the newer Unity version) that required a reinstall for a number of players. I hate to be the "have you tried turning it off and on" guy, but maybe an uninstall, restart, and installing again may help?

Best,
    Sham

• FatFace68
    80 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 5:38 PM

Yes, done that. Uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted prefix, new prefix. updated wine, tried about 10 different version of proton/protonup. As I said, the game is loading, I just can't see it. It's driving me mad.

Cheers

Andy

• FatFace68
    80 Posts
    Mon, Oct 2 2023 3:36 PM

I finally got it sorted. Thanks to a wonderful person on the Arch Linux Reddit, they said change the prefix to

PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

and it works!

I'd tried other prefix changes, but this was the first one to work.

I'm a happy golfer again.

• WGTShamWow
    908 Posts
    Mon, Oct 2 2023 4:20 PM

FatFace68:

I finally got it sorted. Thanks to a wonderful person on the Arch Linux Reddit, they said change the prefix to

PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

and it works!

I'd tried other prefix changes, but this was the first one to work.

I'm a happy golfer again.

Glad to hear it and thanks for posting what worked for you. Not sure how many other players are using Linux but could help someone out later on! :)

Best,
    WGTShamWow

• FatFace68
    80 Posts
    Tue, Oct 3 2023 4:26 AM

WGTShamWow:

Glad to hear it and thanks for posting what worked for you. Not sure how many other players are using Linux but could help someone out later on! :)

Best,
    WGTShamWow

Hopefully with the success of the Steam Deck Linux will get a few more. If any Linux users are having issues, the steps are:

1, Right click on the game title in library and select properties

2, In General, type PROTON_LOG=1 %command% in launch options

3, In compatibility tick Force the use of a specific Steam Pay compatibility tool

It works for me with Proton Experimental.

Andy

RSS