Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hope

Mon, Apr 20 2020 1:40 PM (3 replies)
  • JessicaOfCourse
    43 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2020 10:11 AM

We have entered a very unprecedented chapter of our culture, society and life.  

The future--even the near-term--is clouded in the dark clouds of the unknown. 

But...have hope.

The coronavirus has reminded me--all of us--of the fragility of human life.  A microbial entity has literally brought 7 billion people to a standstill, changing lives, fortunes and the relationships of every person on the planet.

I look back now at the pettiness of what I thought was important and see instead the hubris of putting ourselves above others.  If it's one thing that this pandemic has emblazoned in the minds of all of us that the health of every other person we come into contact with matters to us.

Things like healthcare has taken on a different perspective and urgency to find ways to ensure that every person has the availability of care.  Again, the heath of others matters to us as much as them. One infected person can, via cause-and-effect, inflict enormous consequences on every person they meet or even simply walk by, sit beside, or share a relatively confined space.  

Healthy people help all of us.  

Another issue that jumped at me is the reality of "nature" and the effect of humans on the planet.  This pandemic is a consequence of how we live--densely populated area with vast numbers of people traveling the globe.  No one area of the world is immune to "Mother Nature."

In some ways this may be a preview of what climate change can and will do. We moved to the East Coast last year.  The severity of hurricanes, changing temperatures and rising ocean levels are realities for us.  

Listening to science, to facts, to truth and reality is what matters.  This is in no way about politics, parties, patronage or personalities of leaders.  As we can see, the people giving us the best information are not Democrats or Republicans, not Biden or Trump...but scientists, medical experts, even mathematicians who help predict the numbers and occurrences of the wave of infections across each and every country, region, city and rural area.

And, then there are the real heroes--doctors, nurses, first responders, essential workers from grocery stores to truck drivers.  They are risking their lives for us.  Thank you from all of us.

Finally, I am a new mother.  The world our daughter will face seems to be dark, foreboding and frightening.  But history teaches that humility helps to shine a light into the darkness giving us a path out of the dark wilderness of the present to a different place--different for sure--but a place where we can learn, grow and adapt.

I have hope. We have hope. 

Sending love, blessings for health, safety and the common cause and need for empathy, care and humility for every person in the world, a world we all share.

Together...hope can become reality for all.

Jess

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2020 12:41 PM

One of the more thoughtful posts I have read on here during my 8 year tenure. I hope it was as cathartic to write as it was for me to read.

cheers,

ct

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2020 1:03 PM

Jessica, your child with grow up in a much different world then we grew up in.

• JessicaOfCourse
    43 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2020 1:40 PM

Yes, she will for sure. But I remain hopeful! Love and blessings,  Jess

RSS