Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Kiawah Course 2nd hole

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 22 2009 12:10 PM (9 replies)
  • Bakerbill62
    30 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 11:51 AM

Why is it when you play the first shot short and u move the blue marker so you dont get in the bunker it wont give you the distance any longer and it drops in the little ravine with the little bridge over it and you lose a ball plus get a one stroke penalty. Is this a bug for moving the blue marker to the left away from the bunkers or what?

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 6:02 PM

The blue marker is a reference point at best. Meaning that, when you move it left or right, this becomes your aiming point ( direction) BUT the manner that you hit it, wind direction, lie, etc. will all affect your shot. Moving it closer or further from you will NOT dictate how far the ball goes. That depends on how you hit the ball, long, short, slice, hook, and that ever elusive "perfect". It is also affected by the terrain of the course, up hill, down hill, wind, etc.. Hope this helps. GL

• Bakerbill62
    30 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2009 6:51 AM

ok but this is the part I dont get, if you dont move the marker the ball will go exactly to that blue marker but if I move, it the ball wont go that far and Im hitting it the same strength and usually the same wind direction and lie. Thats why I dont get if I move that blue marker I lose the ball and it wont go as far and I mean like 1/2 of what it would go if I just didnt move that blue meter. Ive tried this on the practice course and each time I move the blue thing I lose the ball in the ravine if I leave the blue  marker the ball will then go that far.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2009 8:00 AM

Bakerbill62:
    ok but this is the part I dont get, if you dont move the marker the ball will go exactly to that blue marker

When you first see a shot; tee, fairway, rough etc, the blue aiming marker (and line) is set to show you where the club the auto-caddie has given you will hit to.  If it hands you a 142 7-iron, it's going to show you where 142yards is.  It doesn't mean that you're going to make it to that spot, because of the various factors below.

The blue marker is direction ONLY.  Not distance.  How far you hit the ball has nothing to do with it.

You could set the blue marker 5 feet in front of you and swing away with your 3 wood from the fairway... the ball is going to go approx 200yards in THAT DIRECTION.

Each club has it's own distance.  These distances will be affected by:

1. How hard you swing
    2. Where you make contact (early, late or "Excellent")
    3. Your current lie (fairway, rough, sand, mulch, dirt, weeds)
    4. Wind strength and direction
    5. Your choice of Topspin or Backspin

It has nothing to do with the blue aim box.

Hope that helps.

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2009 8:01 AM

Okay so now I can just put the blue marker on the green and hit it there off the par 5's huh   lol    I can't even believe this line of questions.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2009 8:23 AM

@TarheelsRule: TRY to remember the very first time You ever played (real and/or virtual) golf !

@Bakerbill62: What Snaike said !

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2009 9:00 AM

Last night I aimed the blue marker off screen toward my cat.  Plinked him on the nose with a tiny WGT golf ball.  Which he later chased around the floor.  I reminded him not to lose it or I'd be out 15 cents.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2009 1:28 PM

• Bakerbill62
    30 Posts
    Wed, Oct 21 2009 7:21 PM

ok I get what your saying about the blue box but what I dont get then is the hiting meter. If my club for example says  it "could" go 225.  I only want to go 220,  wouldnt I then u se that meter and go almost all the way  and I should , depending on wind conditions etc shouldnt that go 220 but seems like on this hole it always, IF I move that blue thing to avoid the bunker it will only go 100. I thought the idea of the blue meter was to aim where u want the ball to go? Other wise on this hole I always hit the bunker and lose strokes.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Oct 22 2009 12:10 PM

Snaike:

Bakerbill62:
    ok but this is the part I dont get, if you dont move the marker the ball will go exactly to that blue marker

When you first see a shot; tee, fairway, rough etc, the blue aiming marker (and line) is set to show you where the club the auto-caddie has given you will hit to.  If it hands you a 142 7-iron, it's going to show you where 142yards is.  It doesn't mean that you're going to make it to that spot, because of the various factors below.

The blue marker is direction ONLY.  Not distance.  How far you hit the ball has nothing to do with it.

You could set the blue marker 5 feet in front of you and swing away with your 3 wood from the fairway... the ball is going to go approx 200yards in THAT DIRECTION.

Each club has it's own distance.  These distances will be affected by:

1. How hard you swing
    2. Where you make contact (early, late or "Excellent")
    3. Your current lie (fairway, rough, sand, mulch, dirt, weeds)
    4. Wind strength and direction
    5. Your choice of Topspin or Backspin

It has nothing to do with the blue aim box.

Hope that helps.

I'm new here so correct me if I am wrong ... but, the yardage on the blue aim box includes the flight AND roll from where the ball first lands. In other words, the total distance. So if I move the marker left the ditch may be in the landing area. Then you have an uh oh.

So if I hit my tee shot short I lay up short of the hazard and have a mid-iron to the green.

Then I usually get close enough to 2 putt for par.

RSS