• PAGES
  • TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 8:06 AM

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 8:21 AM

Turalyon:
    I guess I expected the answer that I will have to learn the new distances and spin from a new ball.

Regardless of what ball you choose you should know how spin actually affects a shot. Backspin will lift the ball and shorten the distance into wind. The opposite happens when hitting with the wind-the distances get longer. Top spin gets the ball on the ground sooner and it rolls. Top spin also offsets a wind in your face and enhances the rollout when hitting with the wind.

When filling out your spreadsheet I would advise you to focus on what happens with neutral spin first. Get to know the carry of your irons first and then you'll be able to better understand how the spin works.  GL.  :-)

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 2:50 PM

If it hasn't been said already - pick a ball and stick with it. I use the legeng cally's at 300CR. I am no expert but they are cheaper than the superballs and I am on a limited budget being disabled.

P.S.   I have a buddy with the same wedges as you and he excusively uses the legend WGT balls 

P.P.S. always hold yer tongue to the left side     LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 4:06 PM

bypass07:
    If it hasn't been said already - pick a ball and stick with it.

This is really good advice. A lot of players think the better the ball, the better the score. That only works if you know your clubs and you're at the learning stage. I used the Tour-SD for a long time and when I felt I needed more, I switched to the 33 Callaway. They won't break the bank and you'll get some fun tools to work with. The key is finding one and sticking with it.   :-)

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 8:28 PM

blakerball:
    How do I get rid of this easy swing that has suddenly appeared on my screen as it hits my shot for me and it is usually results in a bad shot and a loss of a stroke.

It's not in the meter but in the clubs you're playing. By accident, you have the
    "EZ Swing" iron set in your bag. Might have happened after a club rental(?).

You'd have to enter your inventory ("Change Equipment"), select the "Irons" tab (both visible in Don's pics) and exchange that set with another one (probably STARTER w/o EZ Swing). Then, save and be happy ;)

BTW: I admire your TM scores and average with Starters, almost exclusively!

• Bernie395
    576 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2018 10:21 AM

Turalyon:

... what is the best way to adjust to this new ball? Distance and spin are different and i have build up a spreadsheet with distances with the starter ball. I am especially struggling with spin on approach shots to the green, regular, flop and punch. Any advice from you which have been in this situation is appreciated.

Thanks from Holland.

When I change balls or clubs (which isn't often) I tend to start figuring out my distance in practice mode on hole 1 of Kiawah Island.  Set the wind to low and keep restarting the game until you get very low wind at the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position.  Kiawah #1 is a great distance hole as the fairways and greens are pretty flat.  

Once you get that game record your distance for each club at full back spin and with no back spin.  I tend to hit shots but only record distance when I actually "ding" a shot.  Just keep taking mulligans until you get that perfect ding.

On the driver and wood(s) I take the shot off the tee.  For irons I get to a distance where they will land on the green at full power and hit the ball off the fairway.  Those shots best simulate your "real world" shots as with drivers/woods you're typically shooting into the fairway and with irons you should almost always be shooting for the green. 

This is the easiest part of figuring out new clubs/balls...getting their distance dialed in with no wind.  That entire process may only take you 30 or 40 minutes to do. 

The hard part that takes the most time is figuring out what your new clubs/balls will do in the wind as spin greatly affects that.  I use a wind calculation spreadsheet that allows me to modify impact of wind from all 12 positions.  I find with higher spin balls/clubs that the wind doesn't have the same yardage impact from the 12 o'clock position as opposed to the 6 o'clock position.  For instance a full backspin shot may add 10 yards with a strong wind from the 6 o'clock position but it might take 13 yards off with a strong wind from the 12 o'clock position.  I tend to record my results in high winds and then adjust my wind effect calculations until I'm satisfied with the result.  This process may take a month or more and is tougher to calculate as wind has different effects on different courses.  

I find after recording my results for a month or so and adjusting the wind calculations that I eventually get used to the new balls/clubs and no longer rely on the distance calculation spreadsheet.  

Good luck with your new setup!

Brian

• ronbing
    363 Posts
    Wed, Aug 15 2018 2:20 AM

Brian

How do you get to the distance for irons?

Ron

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Oct 1 2018 7:11 PM

ronbing:

Brian

How do you get to the distance for irons?

Ron

I know - I'm not Brian but I can add my 2 cents worth.

When I map new clubs and/or new ball, I hit every club from driver down to PW from the tee, since you will find some holes and winds where a PW will work.  I hit all with no spin and again with full backspin with three dings to get an average carry and roll (at Kiawah #1).  Believe it or not, distances from tees often vary from those in a fairway.  Lately I have been hitting a few longer clubs with full topspin to add this to my arsenal.  You do have to learn how this works with head and tail winds however!  Topspin into the wind and bacskpin with the wind add yardage.

I then poke out onto the fairway just past the sand near the tees and repeat the process from the fairway for every club except the driver and putter (d'oh!).  

It takes time and some balls (you know!) to do it - that is the main reason to find good clubs and balls and stick with them!

• ronbing
    363 Posts
    Tue, Oct 2 2018 4:40 AM

Thank you

• PAGES
RSS