Forums

Help › Forums

How to adjust to new ball

Tue, Oct 2 2018 4:40 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Turalyon
    95 Posts
    Sat, Jul 21 2018 12:40 PM

Hi Guys, i have been playing with the starter ball up to Legend now, to save maximum credits for beter clubs. Now its time to use a better ball. Plan is to go for callies in the 300 credit range. I could use some advice: what is the best way to adjust to this new ball? Distance and spin are different and i have build up a spreadsheet with distances with the starter ball. I am especially struggling with spin on approach shots to the green, regular, flop and punch. Any advice from you which have been in this situation is appreciated.

Thanks from Holland.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Jul 21 2018 6:33 PM

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Jul 21 2018 10:07 PM

Since you are used to a faster meter, you might try to stick with it (somehow), since the slow meter is always the costly option.

You might also work your way down the balls' list from cheap to expensive.

I see that you have the B-XD (10 cr) now - a good start! For the longest time,
    I preferred the Tour-SD (65 cr), which adds a tad of spin and distance.

Many players talk about the Srixon (180 cr) and the L33 Callies (250 cr).
    These are more comfortable (meter), therefore more expensive without going over the roof. I use the latter now, as an average Legend.

The WGT "Legend" balls aren't too bad either.

More expensive balls (and better irons?) may be necessary to contend
    in the competitions or in higher tiers, but you'd probably need to dial them in meticulously with your clubs, considering a few spin settings. Maybe five between full ts and full bs... This is some work!

Most important: Have fun!

• boeling
    320 Posts
    Sat, Jul 21 2018 11:45 PM

if u like  distance  / tp5x

if u like control ball / tp5  

i use tp5 

D=4

S-4.5 

M-3.5

test u iron , all spin and remember , so u dont want some app ;D

keep smile

• abbielb
    1,800 Posts
    Sun, Jul 22 2018 1:51 AM

i use the callaway 45......i find half spin is a good way to get the club distance....with no spin you will get around 7 yds more distance than normal.......300 credits is a great ball ...punch shots i use alot inside 50 yds.....full spin it stops dead on my yardage i hit.....distance at 4.5 ....you dont need the top end balls in my opinion the callaway 45 lvl does it all

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jul 22 2018 11:53 AM

abbielb:

i use the callaway 45......i find half spin is a good way to get the club distance....with no spin you will get around 7 yds more distance than normal.......300 credits is a great ball ...punch shots i use alot inside 50 yds.....full spin it stops dead on my yardage i hit.....distance at 4.5 ....you dont need the top end balls in my opinion the callaway 45 lvl does it all

No it is not a great ball. The 2.0 durability makes it a good ball but not a great one. The level 34 and 35  Callaway and the Level 39 Callaway vapor are all better IMO because with the 2.5 durability they last longer. The level 39 is the same ball as the level 35 except the version i play is yellow.. They have 0.5 less distance but with 0.5 less spin they have basically the same over all distance. And at the same price they are more cost efficient due to the better durability. And the vapor ball i play is only 25 credits higher. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Jul 22 2018 3:21 PM

There is already some good advice in this thread, but I will add a couple of thoughts.

1.  Decide what kind of budget you have for balls (sounds like you already have).

2.  Decide what are the most important attributes for the ball you want (meter speed, spin, distance, durability, etc).

3.  Spend some time in the Pro Shop or with the Pro Shop tables (http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/235590/3635884.aspx) to find one or more balls that will fit your budget, and favor your important attributes.  Remember that more expensive does not necessarily mean they will be better for your style.

4.  If you find a couple of balls that seem to fit, maybe play a few rounds with each to get a feel, so you can narrow down your selection.  

5.  Map the ball for all types of conditions with the clubs you are playing.  In other words, spend a lot of time (and balls!) in practice (with minimal wind, etc), from the tee and from a typical fairway, to determine the actual distance of carry for each club and each type of shot.  Do this with at least zero backspin and full backspin to get the limits for each club.  As noted before, your wedges may surprise you when you hit a ball with a decent spin attribute.  I am still working on that - sometimes I have backed a ball completely off a green!  You may want to map a bit for the different lies of rough, brush, fescue, bunker, etc., if you visit them as much as I do (not as much as in the past!)

Those first steps are important because you don't want to have to repeat the mapping process very often!

FWIW - I switched from cheap balls to the Cally Soft Chrome (L43) a while back and they work well for me.  But pick the ones that work for you.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Tue, Jul 24 2018 11:38 AM

When I went to new clubs, I remember that I would play a practice round and take mulligan after mulligan to get dialed in on what each club would do.  I would bet you can do the same thing with your ball.  Hit the same shot with with different spin and distance until you get a good feel for what you can do.  Good Luck. 

• Turalyon
    95 Posts
    Tue, Jul 24 2018 3:15 PM

Thanks guys for the tips. I guess I expected the answer that I will have to learn the new distances and spin from a new ball. You did describe it well because when i started with a new ball it was so difficult that I went back to my trusted ball fast. But to get better I will have to grind to this new ball. It will take ages to get to level 103 and finish my gear. So i have credits to spend on balls. Plan is to choose the cally 35, relearn everything and see how far I can get. Champion is the goal, lets see how far the progression will go in the second year of playing this game. 

Game on and have fun!

• blakerball
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jul 25 2018 7:41 AM

How do I get rid of this easy swing that has suddenly appeared on my screen as it hits my shot for me and it is usually results in a bad shot and a loss of a stroke.

• PAGES
RSS