Forums

Help › Forums

Re: toughest holes

Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:42 AM (37 replies)
  • salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Fri, Dec 4 2009 2:12 AM

Icon, can you please be a little more specific. Way too much going on there.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 5:27 PM
    I better call you and guide u hole by hole my love. How is 9pm sounds? I'll grab some oil...
  • KatieJ
    43 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:33 AM

I may be sick

• TarheelsRule
    5,482 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 12:43 PM
    Actually when the Ryder Cup was played at Kiawah Island (the Ocean Course) back in 1991 they played the course at about 7100 yards. The course can stretch to 7900 yards but has never been used at that length for a PGA or LPGA event to my knowledge. I generally play it about about 7200 yards when I play there. You have to get permission to play from father back than that, there are 5 sets of tees I think. I have played a few holes from the 'tips', some of them such as # 12 are so far back that I can't get to the fairway, it is sort of embaressing to have to lay up to the white tees. BPB and the Ocean Course are very difficult, personally I don't think that a number of holes on BPB are fair on this game, when you have to hit a 3 wood and hope it runs throught the rough or a trap, it isn't a fair shot. The fact that the USGA moved the tees up during the 09 Open just shows that when the fairways are firm and able to get a good roll, then the course can't be played correctly. If you have ever played a USGA course just before or after an event, you will marvel at how much longer you are because of the firm fairways that are cut so low, they don't do that for normal play because of the damage it can cause. When I played at St. Andrews, the fairways were firm and short, it was the summer and a well struck 2 iron could go over 300 yards with a little draw. For my money the most difficult Open course still is Shinnecock Hills out on Long Island.
  • UKCats
    165 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:06 PM

#4 on Kiawah is really tough. I can't get in on the green. I have made maybe 3 birdies. All from chipping in from behind the green. #9 is pretty tough however, I just eagled it today I would post a video if I knew how.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Fri, Feb 19 2010 9:14 PM

UKCats:

#4 on Kiawah is really tough. I can't get in on the green. I have made maybe 3 birdies. All from chipping in from behind the green. #9 is pretty tough however, I just eagled it today I would post a video if I knew how.

Nice shot UK Cats.  That is one of my least favorite greens.

• TarheelsRule
    5,482 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 10:19 AM
    I have had some success on #4 by coming in from right of the front bunker. You have to get your tee shot a little right and as long as you can but you can hit a hit shot right of the bunker and there is a little ridge on the green that holds it. It helps if the wind is blowing to the left but not necessary. Generally can get within 10 feet of the pin there and have a decent putt without so much downhill on it.
  • seveking
    983 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:42 AM

kiawah four isn´t that complicated. if the wind is blowing right, you just have to hit it a fraction to the left of the bunker and watch it roll down the slope towards the hole. If the wind is blowing straight at you just hit it reallyhard, so that it flies over the bunker, and lands on the green. The wind will help the spin and it the ball will stop fairly near the hole. If the wind is blowing left, you can try tarheels tactic, though I must say I find that one the most difficult one.

RSS