Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Lvl 23 Amateur - Advice for First Purchase

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 2 2017 8:13 AM (8 replies)
  • BustinHoles
    17 Posts
    Wed, Jun 28 2017 3:04 PM

At this point in my WGT career, should I just save the 796 credits I have or is there a particularly smart purchase I could make that will be worth the credits? I'm sure I should wait, read up some on the thousands of posts in the forum, and play the game to get more adjusted, but looking at all the shiny clubs and sets with the increased stats makes me want to upgrade. 

Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful. Also, one other thing... Phred informed me that I should stop renting things until I'm a higher level, and I don't understand this... does it not allow me to rent things every time I level up? Or almost every time? It seems this is the way it is... and if so, why would I wait until higher levels? Does it not allow me to rent anything more than once? I have a feeling that's the case... and I should really read or search to find this out, but there are soooo many threads, and thousands of posts. I'd rather not spend half my day reading. I would rather tee off. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 8:39 AM

I agree that you should wait to purchase anything. Phred was probably referring to not spending any credits to rent equipment. If you're doing the free rentals upon leveling up, that's different. Go ahead and continue to do that. But one caveat: it's really easy to hit the wrong button and end up purchasing rental equipment.

There are a lot of threads on what first purchases should be. Basically, a lot of the advice comes down to this:

• First driver: TaylorMade R1 L48+
    • First 3 wood: Opinions vary on when you need to get one; search the forums
    • First irons: Ping, Level 59+
    • Wedges: Opinion varies and depends on budget. A lot of players recommend carrying three wedges and dropping the hybrid. That's the approach I went with and was very happy I did. My first set of wedges were the Cleveland wedges (56 degree, 60 degree, and 64 degree around Levels 27 to 31). Nevertheless, they're a bit pricey
    • First putter: Opinions vary. But a lot of players like the TM Daytona (Level 55+). I waited for the Odyssey Versa (Level 70+). In fact, I still have that putter but am thinking of upgrading at some point. I've also read good things about the Sabertooth (Level 59)

In any case, at this level and tier, absolutely save your credits. Anything you would purchase now would quickly be replaced. When you get to the higher levels and are ready to purchase something, touch base with me. I might be able to throw you a club. :-)

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 8:43 AM

Free rentals should be o.k....

But, wait at least for L30 before thinking of purchases.

Indeed, there are tons of posts to be found with the search =>

Edit: Good advice by Robert! I would only put the paragraph on wedges first ;)

Most important to me are two good wedges. These and the rest depend on how much money (Dollars!) you are willing to spend.

And, beware that better equipment will improve your play, thus you will rise in tier faster and reach Master and Legend tiers (sooner) where you once more need better clubs!

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 8:52 AM

Wait before you start upgrading your clubs . At this point in your game any upgrades would be a waste of credits . Keep building up your credits those shiny clubs will still be there and some you will pass by . Yes stop wasting your credits on rentals  and only do so when its free .

You will level up faster right now than you will later on in the game . This is the setup and how the game hooks you .There`s a thread "Advice for New Players" read it , it wont hurt I promise .The bottom line is , is that you want your upgrades to last as long as possible . Wait until you reach Tour Pro before you start making upgrades until then just play and have fun . Learn the game and your way around the courses .

The better you learn to play with the clubs you now have, the better you will play with the better clubs later . There`s a lot to read but it will help you to become a better player in the end . So read first and ask second . There are still some good players here in the forum who will help you find your way all you have to do is ask . Take care play well and have fun and welcome to the game . :-)

• BustinHoles
    17 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 9:49 AM

Good deal, thanks for the pointers guys. And no, I've never spent any credits on rentals. I only get the free rentals when I level up. Speaking of which, I've found the TaylorMade stuff seems to be really good. Very expensive, but really good. I'll take all your advice and save my credits for the time being. 

Thanks again, all.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 12:09 PM

Sorry I should have been more clear....the free rentals are fine.  Use them just to try something out, even if you would never think of buying it.  Do not spend credits now to rent equipment.

Robert, alosso and Lonnie gave you great advice.  Biggest difference will be wedges.  I went with the L30's+ TM ATV's and used them until I could buy the L70's to L80 Clevelands.  It's a matter of how much you want to spend.  The Clevelands are better, but cost almost double.

I made the mistake of buying clubs too early, as I wasn't reading the forum at that time.  I had the L39 Rocketballz Tour complete set.  So I never bought a premium driver or 3W until much later. (L79 TM SLDR in White).

When I got to L59 I then purchased the L59 Ping G25 complete set.  Opinions varied on those woods, but i had good luck with that driver and 3W.  But I was working within a budget at the time.  So it worked for me.

The way it was laid out will give you better equipment earlier, but at a higher cost.  Not spent in a lump sum, however.

Anyway, enjoy the game.

• flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 9:23 AM

I posted my thoughts on this topic in another thread; you may find those comments useful.  Unfortunately, this stupid form won't let me insert a link for some dumb reason, so you'll have to copy/paste the URL into a browser:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/466844/3186310.aspx#3186310

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, Jun 30 2017 12:29 PM

You have some great advice from those above, but being relatively new compared to these long timers here is how I incorporated various ideas. 

I saved credits by using the "rock" or unlimited play ball.  I played mostly on the tablet where I could "win" will eventually become worthless coins.  The coins I won eventually allowed me to use a couple free coin rentals for a week of slightly better clubs.  These clubs helped me just enough to manage on the longer Pro tee boxes. 

The reason I ended up on the longer tee boxes so quickly, I used the free rentals offered by WGT while playing ranked rounds and shot better scores.  Doing so moved me up the tiers where I was stuck with starter equipment.  Hence the frustration.  You can use the free rentals in coin matches and it should effect your advancement. 

However, after advancing to Pro and Tour Pro I needed more distance than the standard clubs could provide.  I was holding out for the better equipment upgrades in L50 and above.

Lots will advocate getting the L48 TM driver, but here is what I found.  Since I was using the starter balls, the meter was rather quick.  My drives were erratic, so I passed on it.  I waited until L55 for my current driver and I do not regret it in the least!  I believe it is a better driver all around and worth waiting a few more levels.  I may even be able to hold onto it until the top tier drivers come available in the upper L90's.

There are some good 3 wd options out there.  Again, I waited a little longer than some and I got one that was more forgiving and provided good distance.  I have only recently upgraded from it to a slightly longer version of the same model. 

I too played the L59 Ping irons until I could upgrade to my current set. 

Wedges.  I went the affordable route of the AVG.  I simply couldn't justify spending nearly an extra 1000 credits to round out my bag with Clevelands when 3 reasonable performance wedges could be obtained for the price of one Cleveland. 

By waiting to upgrade you will also learn more about course management and how to get up and down to save par, a crucial skill you want to develop.  You could upgrade these wedges as soon as they are available to you for the discounted price. 

Putter can be at your discretion.  Some feel the putter is the best club in the bag for starter gear.  Also, it won't matter how much you spend on a putter if you cant read putts or get a feel for distance and speed.  Save your credits until you feel confident in these.  After that it is a matter of fine tuning what you already learned.

Beyond that, read the forums, watch videos, and practice.  I have been playing for just under four months and I feel I am doing rather well.  I have leveled up by shooting good scores rather than using the WGT glitch of beating higher tiered players in match play.  Hence, be careful playing match play against Masters, Legends, Champions and winning because it will artificially lower your score much more than it should otherwise. 

I know some will say good luck beating a higher tiered player, but I have also heard stories of how someone got screwed over by a higher tier player that threw the match, lost their connection and forfeited or whatever.  Either way, it is a win and even if you were only playing par golf or made one birdie it could lower your scoring average as if you had shot a 53.  It is crazy. 

Best of luck and invest wisely!

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 8:13 AM

I shared what I felt was good advice, but it appears WGT didn't like my post as it does not appear to have made it.  Puzzling though because I don't believe I said anything wrong other than offering the most budget minded way to upgrade.  hmmm?

edit, must have been the holiday and backlog.  post shows up now.

cheers

RSS