Re: A Question to Fellow Legends R11 Hybrid Vs.R11 3 Wood

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 3 2011 2:57 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 3:10 PM

DarSum:
    #2. You don't have to worry about trying to get a big long drive on that hole. Or worry about cutting too much off and catching a limb of that oak tree on the left. Or worry about driving it through the fairway. Depending on conditions, hit this 3w slightly right of the big oak and leave anywhere from 130-145. It usually goes anywhere from 260 to 275 or so on drives.

Don't know why your using the wood of the tee on that hole. I really don't want to be hitting anything longer than pitching wedge into that green, preferably my 56deg wedge. Full drive aimed at middle tree and hit first line before the ding works 90% of the time. Hit later for headwinds and R-L winds and hit earlier for tailwinds and L-R winds.

• Hackmore
    41 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 3:44 PM

I drop the 80 yd Cleveland on certain courses, I carry both most of the time but when I need better control I keep the Hybrid, that is becoming my favorite club in the bag. The Hybrid is always in the bag.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 3:52 PM

Thanks for that, DarSum, was what I was looking for. I do disagree on the #2 tee shot because it is too easy to pull it around the corner and wind up 100-110 out. Whatever works.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2011 6:18 PM

YankeeJim:

Thanks for that, DarSum, was what I was looking for. I do disagree on the #2 tee shot because it is too easy to pull it around the corner and wind up 100-110 out. Whatever works.

You're welcome. Yeah, I agree with you and Moyu on drawing it around the corner and that is the shot I used to hit before I got this 3w. But if I'm off at all using that shot I would end up over hooking it or not hooking it enough and end up in the rough. With the 3 wood I can miss early or late and still be in the fairway. Just a better percentage shot for me I guess.

• chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, May 3 2011 2:57 AM

I stareted off waiting untill i was level 85 to buy the R11 wood, although its an excellent wood (especially compared to the horrible fast meter of my old i15) and very good distance wise, nearly as long as driver on some holes lol, i found adjusting for the 220 yarder par 3's we get a lot of a bit more awkward, not too bad though.

I decided to give the hybrid a go, and only use it for courses with 215+ par 3's (and maybe courses that i don't really need a power full wood) and i found it to be a lovely club.  I was in 50% rough and stil managed a 200+ yard shot. 220 from 30% rough.  If you feel you land in the rough on places like bethpage quite often, go for the hybrid. 

After using the both, at the moment i'm still using the hybrid, but to be honest, its horses for courses as they say, and doubt the wood will be back in my bag if i'm on St Andrews back 9.  But they are both excellent clubs, and i could only wish there was space for BOTH in my bag, pity the rules for clubs in bag are 14 and not 15 LOL.

• PAGES
RSS