Re: Legends Question about Driving Distances

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 9 2011 7:02 AM (22 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2011 6:08 AM

LOLserver:
    I was suppose to drive at least 10-15 yards longer, but I wans't

The level 80 R9 keeps up with the R11, (not sure where you got that number.) One big difference in the 2 drivers is the loft. The R11 is going to react to the wind more because of this.

For your crosswind situation I like to use full back spin and miss intentionally against the wind. This will straighten out the drive. You can also aim way against the wind and miss with it for some pretty nice flights. I wouldn't do this unless you're comfortable on being able to miss correctly.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2011 6:34 AM

YankeeJim:

The level 80 R9 keeps up with the R11, (not sure where you got that number.) One big difference in the 2 drivers is the loft. The R11 is going to react to the wind more because of this.

For your crosswind situation I like to use full back spin and miss intentionally against the wind. This will straighten out the drive. You can also aim way against the wind and miss with it for some pretty nice flights. I wouldn't do this unless you're comfortable on being able to miss correctly.

Hey Jim, how do u do mate?

There is another thread about the R11 driver, I did post my first reactions about this particular driver after playing a legend using the R11 (not avaliable for me at that time) while me playing with the R9 280...he was landing JUST besides me at Beth. I concider a 15-20 yards in my advantage due to the tee difference, I'm still TM (& migth there 4ever 'cos I only submit my ranked matches under 30/60...LOL).

EDIT. btw, my latest opponent was playing with the R9 275 with the Callas "s"....& landing just rigth where my ball was.

Well, what about tile wind...how much?

You'r becoming an expert in the matter Jim ;). Regards, Eric

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2011 7:02 AM

TarheelsRule:
    The back spin is just a show feature to me, the iron seems very accurate from 80 yards with no spin on it.  I haven't tried putting overspin on it.  The b/s is just way too inconsistent, I watched a shot from 80 yards with a 15mph wind back up the hill at St Andrews the other day, landed 5 yards behind the pin and backed up 12 yards, that isn't how a wedge is susposed to work, we need to have a little more realistic clubs.

The usual point of spin is to stop the ball, not back it up. (Where are you going to back up to anyway?) As pointed out, on most approach shots the Cleveland wedges will typically stop on a dime with their natural backspin. The extra backspin that you can dial up is more like something to hold in reserve for special occasions, like lobbing to an elevated green, sand blasts, or pitching onto a green that is running away from you. Those shots are not going to "back up" as such, but the Clevelands show some real ability to stop the unwanted rollout.

(Guess this is a little off-topic by now.)

RSS