• wildcat18racing6
    420 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:20 PM

(just whistles)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 8:40 PM

deBubblebuster:

I hit a starter driver that averages 225 yds. and whenever I play #7 at St. Andrew's, unless I have a strong tail wind, I cannot reach the fairway.  I'll come up short in either the heavy rough or the dreaded "fescue" which renders going for the green impossible... and I'll usually end up with a bogey or worse (much worse).  Should I just consider this hole a given bummer or is there a better way I can approach this hole that will at least give me a reasonable chance to make par.  This hole can drive me nuts (which is a short drive)!  I just finished a practice round on the front 9 that included 5 birdies, which for me is incredible, but I took a quadruple bogey on #7!!!  I almost kicked my cat.  Any and all advice will be appreciated.  Just put your bill in the mail.  Thank you.

I used to rip me hair out on that hole when I first started..lol. I was thinking at the time this is too hard (I can't say what I really thought of it...lol). 

Apart from getting bigger drivers, maybe, If you have the credits get some golf balls with extra distance.

Just remembered I also got the Rapture Driver too which made life easier too

Good Luck

Roger

• 8buster8
    649 Posts
    Sat, Apr 23 2011 9:16 PM

i gots to reply to my buster-brother

when I was a pro, this hole made me want to avoid Saint Andrews altogether.  I seriously thought something was wrong with this hole, lol.  When I finally started upgrading clubs I lived by the mantra "drive for show, putt for dough" so I refused to get a new driver for the longest time... dumb of me!  Seconds before making master I finally picked up a longer driver and couldn't believe how easy many holes became (BPB #9 from pro tees with a longer driver is so much easier also)

this driver ain't fancy but @ 250 credits can be had for a few simple surveys and is rated for 245 yards; plenty of distance until master tier.  Backspin is good advice for those drives with hazards near your landing area (think BPB #5).

good luck

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 4:28 PM

Everyone knows that it is the RedSox Nation and the Yankees are the Evil Empire.

Back to #7, the alt fairway is the way to go with starter equipment, you can make par that way.  Similar theory on #14 on the same course, you often have to play left if you can't clear the crap.

• mark1kylie
    1 Posts
    Thu, Apr 28 2011 7:23 PM

thanx champ.

• Shane028
    566 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2011 6:00 AM

deBubblebuster:

I hit a starter driver that averages 225 yds. and whenever I play #7 at St. Andrew's, unless I have a strong tail wind, I cannot reach the fairway.  I'll come up short in either the heavy rough or the dreaded "fescue" which renders going for the green impossible... and I'll usually end up with a bogey or worse (much worse).  Should I just consider this hole a given bummer or is there a better way I can approach this hole that will at least give me a reasonable chance to make par.  This hole can drive me nuts (which is a short drive)!  I just finished a practice round on the front 9 that included 5 birdies, which for me is incredible, but I took a quadruple bogey on #7!!!  I almost kicked my cat.  Any and all advice will be appreciated.  Just put your bill in the mail.  Thank you.

I feel your pain .... Hate this hole myself !!

• PAGES
RSS