Forums

Help › Forums

Re: full backspin on drives with callaway s ball?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 25 2011 1:41 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • nowhammies
    288 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:16 AM

I play the Callaway iS balls and use full backspin on EVERY drive,  no matter what the strength or direction of the wind I'm not so much concerned with distance on my drives since I have the 275yd R9( my driving avg is 272yds) ,   It gives me more accuracy.  I feel I can control how far the ball travels and where it will end up.  I was using no spin for a while and found  balls that landed in the fairway would roll out too much and end up in the rough, at Kiawah it isn't such a big deal nor at St Ans since the 1st cut of rough there isn't that penalizing, but at BPB and Oak you need to be in the fairway in order to get it close to the pins.  

• Steelers75
    239 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:26 AM

I played around with the spin on the Calloway i(z) for quite a while.  Here's what I found:

- Tailwind (or crosswind 3 to 9 or 9 to 3): FULL backspin = greater loft and distance.

- Headwind (between 4 and 8): no spin added.  Adding spin decreases distance.

This is what I've found works best; for me.  There are a couple holes, #2 at BPB for example, where backspin will put you in the rough.  In the end, it's about personal preference and your approach.  Too many players putt too much emphasis on getting the longest drive possible.  Drives don't win the game.  Putting does.

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:31 AM

I use about 1/2 backspin on most drives with a tailwind or crosswind, IF, i want maximum distance.I found that full back spin on the Callaway balls absolutely kills any roll out, especially the Spin ball. The 1/2 spin mode will get get you good carry distance and some decent roll. I play with Bollox and some other top players from my CC and my drives seem to be very much like theirs, so this method is sound! Hitemstr8!

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:36 AM

sixkiller:

I use about 1/2 backspin on most drives with a tailwind or crosswind, IF, i want maximum distance.I found that full back spin on the Callaway balls absolutely kills any roll out, especially the Spin ball. The 1/2 spin mode will get get you good carry distance and some decent roll. I play with Bollox and some other top players from my CC and my drives seem to be very much like theirs, so this method is sound! Hitemstr8!

I mostly agree with sixkiller.

Full bs really cuts the distance. But, I wouldn't totally rule it out. I think specific hole/wind offer choices of drives, from ts to bs to somewhere in between.

-wgticon

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:34 AM

I look at backspin (dot below the horizontal) differently I suppose.  Each club interacts with ball differently.  I approach this game as I would on a real golf course.  There is a sweet spot between a ball and club that maximizes carry and provides optimal distance.  It is very prevalent with driver.  Not to take away from what wgticon is saying, but experience and taking observations is the best way to learn.  I always use the replay feature when experimenting with spin and different irons, wedges and driver to get a feel for what I see and the results I obtain.

In the other words, take lots of notes, don't be afraid to experiment once in awhile.  Also, don't be afraid to develop your own style of play that you are comfortable with, and refine it to account for various course conditions and hole locations.  This game like golf is about learning and improving.

Shade

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 4:37 PM

spot on born,

the extra carry using full b/s gets you a little more carry, and in most cases gets you the same overall distance.

Now when the winds are heavy, all bets are off, cause a slight miss of the sweet spot with full b/s or t/s and the results are all over the board. I'll add to that though, with a heavy tail wind, full top spin gets ya a lot of yardage, but not all is lost with full backspin, as the extra carry with the tailwind makes a lot of that up, too. Oh, and the slightly missed meter seems a little less punishable with b/s than it does with t/s when you have a heavy tail wind. So then there's that, lol.

• Dukiedong
    73 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2011 3:49 PM

Yes...I do use full backspin on most of my drives. The Callaway  ball responds very well that way. I will say if I want max distance and I am down wind I use half or quarter backspin. It is a good way to control your drives. In heavy cross winds I usually use little or no spin on my drives. Hope this helps...have fun.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2011 7:03 PM

I use the legend Z Cals and put backspin on every drive right below the V on the ball but covering some of the V. For drives where you need to carry and stop run out (quite a few on Beth) I use almost full backspin. One #1 Beth you can cut the corner over the trees to around 308-312 on the fly with full BS and the R11. Beth #6 you can carry to the bottom of the hill which is about 325-330 as the crow flies. On #9 with a tail wind you can carry to the left of the bunker leaving about 130-140 yrds instead of back behind the bunker left with 180. You cannot do that on any of those holes without using close to, if not full backspin.

Just thought I'd add I'm playing Beth right now on #5 with 16mph head wind blowing slightly to the right . Full backspin and it carried 278yrds. Really could have cut off a lot more but that's getting pretty chancy. I wish I had a mulligan or do over to try it again with no backspin. Here's a replay if you wanna see it.

replay.aspx?ID=93d004fb 1f43 414f 815f 9ecc0034f9cf

Many other holes on the other courses where IMO full backspin has to used to carry from the back tees. #4 St Andrews comes to mind. #10 Kaiwah to carry the bunker on the right and the ball will release on that fairway even with backspin.

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:00 PM

I'm by no means an elite player but I use backspin on almost every drive. Almost 100% full bs. I only don't do it when the wind is in my face. I get more carry and the ball doesn't roll as much so I can hit the fairway more. I don't have many shots where the ball rolls into the rough. I still hit the ball further without the roll than I would if I didn't play backspin on it. I'd recommend using backspin. 

• ChronicDiarrhea
    545 Posts
    Mon, Apr 25 2011 1:41 PM

DarSum:

I use the legend Z Cals and put backspin on every drive right below the V on the ball but covering some of the V. For drives where you need to carry and stop run out (quite a few on Beth) I use almost full backspin. One #1 Beth you can cut the corner over the trees to around 308-312 on the fly with full BS and the R11. Beth #6 you can carry to the bottom of the hill which is about 325-330 as the crow flies. On #9 with a tail wind you can carry to the left of the bunker leaving about 130-140 yrds instead of back behind the bunker left with 180. You cannot do that on any of those holes without using close to, if not full backspin.

Just thought I'd add I'm playing Beth right now on #5 with 16mph head wind blowing slightly to the right . Full backspin and it carried 278yrds. Really could have cut off a lot more but that's getting pretty chancy. I wish I had a mulligan or do over to try it again with no backspin. Here's a replay if you wanna see it.

replay.aspx?ID=93d004fb 1f43 414f 815f 9ecc0034f9cf

Many other holes on the other courses where IMO full backspin has to used to carry from the back tees. #4 St Andrews comes to mind. #10 Kaiwah to carry the bunker on the right and the ball will release on that fairway even with backspin.

Hey Dar - What driver are you hitting?  That was a nice drive!

• PAGES
RSS