Help › Forums

Re: Golf club ratings/reviews

Sun, Nov 4 2018 11:59 AM (21 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 1:50 PM

razza31:
    most players dont like BB 3wd,

A great example....as IMO it is much maligned as I have never had one of those wft shots from it - but many players have....and would rate it badly.

That is why getting a selection of views and then forming your decision around that is prudent. Ratings are only as good as the persons personal experience, but still not be right for you.

The best way to test a club is to rent it (preferably during free rentals) and use it in practice (not necessarily in a round where you use it 3 times in a round for example). Use mulligans and try different spin etc - give it a workout.

The other criteria that a rating system would not account for, is meter speed. You could buy a club based on the rating, but it may be far too quick/slow meter speed for you and to match your other clubs

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:19 PM

Have used both the BB and Nike 3 woods. Loved the BB, very reliable and fairly forgiving. I now have the Nike because of the extra distance, But I have had a fair few WGT shots with this one. Slight miss dings that skew off like half shanks. Not all the time but every now and again.

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2017 1:03 AM

Lutjanid:

Have used both the BB and Nike 3 woods. Loved the BB, very reliable and fairly forgiving. I now have the Nike because of the extra distance, But I have had a fair few WGT shots with this one. Slight miss dings that skew off like half shanks. Not all the time but every now and again.

yet i have found the opposite to be true

if i missed the ding by just a fraction with the bb i could be 20 yards off line

with the nike i have hit way too early and thought i would be facing 40/50 rough or worse yet ended up on the fairway

• igolfdoyou1
    896 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2017 1:28 AM

Their isn't a rating system but from personal experience the nike and r1 are pretty much the same and bb comes in a close 2nd only bcuz the loft is much higher but with the r1 theres more forgiveness and you can adjust hitting the ball higher or lower;If i had to give a difintive answer the nike is like a cross between the r1 and the bb but the 289 r1 tops them all.

• jayzach
    380 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 8:56 AM

If you notice in the reveiws they seem to be all positive reviews...I left a not so positive review for the level 101 Sabertooth   I think it is the biggest $50 rip off on WGT   I went back to my Nike Method after a month of trying to figure that unpredictable piece of crap out

Jaysun

• DonaldKey8798
    6,714 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 9:22 AM

Best to ask players in your club for that, and most other advice.............

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 10:39 AM
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 11:22 AM
    jayzach:

If you notice in the reveiws they seem to be all positive reviews...I left a not so positive review for the level 101 Sabertooth   I think it is the biggest $50 rip off on WGT   I went back to my Nike Method after a month of trying to figure that unpredictable piece of crap out

Jaysun

I have the Sabretooth and love it. Great putter, nail a lot of long putts with it
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 12:33 PM

jayzach:

Jaysun

I believe you mean Level 98. The Level 101 putter is the TM Red Spider.

Regardless, you're the first person that I've ever read who said anything negative about the putter (other than price). Personally, I love the putter. While it wasn't a huge improvement over my Level 70 Versa, I've never regretted the cost. 

But to each his/her own. People have to find what works for them. Still, it's definitely not an "unpredictable piece of crap." 

• jacktrade51
    10,901 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 1:02 PM

The problem with a rating system is that so much is personal.

The discussion over the Sabretooth putter proves the point.  I have no use for it, but I have Champs and TL's in my club that swear by it.  I like the top Taylor Red Spider much better, but it is hardly different than my Nike, so I stick with the latter.

With woods and irons, different players need different things.  Some are better with slower meter, some need forgiveness, some prefer precision.   (In my case, I prefer forgiveness in driver and 3w, precision in irons, and meter speed is not that important.)  Start by knowing your needs.

My best advice:  (1) Ask people, starting in your club, who have used the club.  Club forum is good place to start.  (2)  Free rental.  (And remember, one can rent same club 2x @ 24 hours each during the free rental period.)  If still in doubt, rent for real or wait for next free rental and try it again.

For newer members at lower level, ask the top players in your about what they used (and why) when they were rising through the levels (although keep in mind, there are many more options now than there were 4 years ago when I was rising from the 30's to the mid-80's).  In good clubs you will get honest, but still sometimes different, answers.  Then you have to decide.

RSS