Forums

Help › Forums

trying to figure out how much wind moves the ball

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 8 2013 2:58 PM (35 replies)
  • coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 8:20 AM

Its tricky because to test out how much wind moves the ball, you'd have to be in the same spot both times, click the same amount and have wind from the same direction. Would have to be directly in front or behind because whatever to the side isnt measured in the distance. Here's a couple tests:

full 9.5D 255yd, from tee, level fairway.
    click on excellent in middle both times.
    2mph wind from directly in front, went 249yd
    19mph wind from directly in front, went 224yd

from that should be able to figure out a wind offset formula where you could calculate by whatever windspeed and how far it is, how much the wind would move the ball. Like for example, lets say i'm going to shoot 110 yards and it's a 7 wind.. how much is it going to throw it off? What factors are missing here to be able to figure it out?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 10:44 AM

I do believe the pros have this same problem which makes this game extremely realistic. They only get 1 shot with a handful of grass in the air to go by.

I got spoiled by all the wind charts and stuff that worked with a cd based game but have come to learn that the WGT people want to present as real a game as they can. So far, so good.

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 5:09 PM

yeah well i'm trying to figure out how much to move the pointer arrow to compensate for however much wind there is. Throwing a blade of grass aint gonna help me.. so thanks for no help. Can't figure out physics, or what?

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 5:21 PM

well.. what you got going on is this guy coming in here saying, no you shouldnt be trying to figure out whats going on with the wind. What a ***.

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 5:38 PM

nevermind that ***, back to the task at hand. Was testing stuff out.. estimating before, then trying actual to see if it was close.

full 9.5D 255yd, from tee, level fairway.
    click on excellent in middle.
    2mph wind from directly in front, went 249yd
    19 wind from directly in front, went 224yd

17mph of wind moved it 25yd.

how much did the 2 wind move it to figure out no wind.

17mph      2mph
    -----       =    ----
    25yd           x yd

x yd = 2mph x 25yd
                -----------
                17mph

2mph wind moves it 2.94yd

so 249yd plus 2.94yd = 251.94yd with no wind

had a direct 20mph wind at back and was about to shoot.
    how much would it go with 20mph wind at back?

17mph    20mph
    -----       =  -----
    25yd          x yd

x yd     20mph x 25yd
           =   ------------
                  17mph

29.41yd = 20mph wind

251.94yd + 29.41yd
    = 20 wind should go = 281.35yd

lets test.. wasnt excellent click but just beside middle.. went 280

had a problem later though with a

16mph wind directly at back, excellent click, went 285yd

by those calculations above a 16 wind at back should of went 275.. maybe that excellent click at back gave it extra oumph.

later going be testing what should happen with a different club and see if i can tell what it should just from that previous data with that driver. For example.. a 180 club is 0.70 times less than a 255. so take the data for a wind and multiply it by that ratio to figure out lesser clubs. However, a 255 would go 252 but close enough. What i'll do is estimate and test out to see if it was close.

Be back later and anybody else with suggestions of throwing blades of grass in the air to figure out what the wind does, will just be ignored.

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:11 PM

ok testing out what an iron would do then calculate how far it should go, according to the driver data.

on the fairway with a 5iron 160yd club and 18 wind in front.

160yd club fairway to fairway low wind went 156

18wind at front, how far should it go?

using the formula for how much it moved on the 255club

17mph    18mph
    -----      =   ----
    25yd          x yd

x yd = 18mph x 25yd
                -----------
               17mph

18 wind would move it 26.47yd for the 251.94yd club

156/251.94 = the 5iron 160yd club goes 0.619 times less than driver

26.47yd times 0.619 = that club would go 16.39yd less at that distance.
    156 minus 16.39.. estimate that it should go around 140.

go to shoot.. went 143.

Whats going on there is the fairway to fairway data was with low winds
    of, what do those get.. 2,3,4. Would have to do fairway to fairway data
    then calculate what it would be with no wind. Then use that for estimates.

Be back later. Works a little better than throwing blades of grass in the air.. so i'll go with that and make a chart. Thanks again for the no help ya guys.

• florida1212
    21 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:19 PM

I agree, the throwing of grass in the air would be no help at all..........

Here is what I do - I take off my shoe, toss it into the air, and if it moves - its too windy to play golf  :-)

Just my 2 cents thrown in, but in my opinion its not the guy that made the original comment about the wind that will be the one ignored. Seems like you are spending a little too many calories on this subject.

reply as you wish, but you wont get another comment from me on this one

regards

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:22 PM

actual testing stuff out and the calculations seems to be working out when going against the wind.. but with it, they're off.. seems like i'll have to do a couple exact tests with the wind at the back, one with low and one with high and figure out whats going on.

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:25 PM

more smart-ass comments not being of any assistance to the subject whatsoever.

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 7:30 PM

anyways.. back to the task at hand.. you'd think the wind would have the same effect to the distance front or back. Whatever amount of wind in front would mean that much less.. and whatever behind would mean that much more.. but what i'm noticing on the fairway to fairway is if its in front, the estimation calculations are correct but with it behind the wind isnt pushing it as far as estimated. Good to see other people are helping to figure out the dilemma instead of just sitting around throwing smartass comments.

RSS