Help › Forums

Re: The New GS Wind/Putting Program

Sat, Oct 1 2016 12:26 AM (127 replies)
  • GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2016 2:41 PM

Solarflares:

11BC2:

I"m sure the point comes you never need notes or mappings again.  You can just look and instantly know what to do. How rewarding can that actually be?

Some of us don't even need to look.

I know someone like that. He doesn't even use Shot Pal or Putt Pal. It's all instinct to him. I hope to get like that some day. One step at a time tho right.

• jaysamuelson
    640 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2016 6:25 PM

The PGA will never use calculators and IPads,cause the COMPUTER does not hit the ball for them ....J

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2016 7:02 AM

jaysamuelson:

The PGA will never use calculators and IPads,cause the COMPUTER does not hit the ball for them ....J

Jay, I'm well aware of how STCC feels about anyone doing math when golfing.

I love all these people going "Pros don't use calculators!!"  rabble rabble!  Because pros have knowledgeable caddies. Who have extensive, EXTENSIVE yardage books, with pages upon pages of notes. And green maps showing exact contours, slopes, distances. They also use laser rangefinders and pace off exact yardages.

So sure, if you want to think that none of that knowledge involves math at all, or adding/subtracting distances, factoring in wind, then great. That is also delusional. Also, the fact that people can't tell the difference between a computer game and actual real life golf is sad.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2016 7:05 AM

Solarflares:

No mate , we want to win - but we don't want the distraction of cluttering-up the screen and processing with a side-programme , aside from the benign-feeling that "data-entry" gives.

Added to which - Where on earth does the satisfaction come from when using a machine to tell you how hard to hit and where to aim?    C'mon someone - tell me , but make it good.

Who said anything about a side-programme or using a machine to tell you how hard to hit and where to aim?

You don't need a programme. You don't need a calculation sheet. What do you need? A brain that is capable to learning. You play the game you learn it's nuances and how to improve. It's not rocket science, it doesn't require a calculation sheet but if someone wants to go down that road they should make their own IMO.

I'm not saying that players who rely on calculation sheets don't enjoy the game but they are putting more energy and thought power into data entry than those who try to win on their own merit. But what do I know? Maybe data entry is its own kind of excitement for the calculator brigade. Whatever the case, each person can do what suits them.

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2016 10:05 AM

PRStevenson:

I'm not saying that players who rely on calculation sheets don't enjoy the game but they are putting more energy and thought power into data entry than those who try to win on their own merit. But what do I know? Maybe data entry is its own kind of excitement for the calculator brigade. Whatever the case, each person can do what suits them.

And there it is. You can't just say "I don't use any calculation sheet, but I understand that the same calculations I do in my head, other people do them on some sheet". This whole conversation has been the "savants" putting down people who have developed and / or use sheets. I don't believe that I, or anyone else, has said "oh these idiots just doing it by feel. they obviously don't care about improving or winning"  Nor has anyone said that doing a calculation with a sheet is BETTER than people playing by feel or doing calculations in their head.

Thanks for the "calculator brigade" snipe too. I'm assuming you think I have a pocket protector, coke bottle glasses, and suspenders too? Any other juvenile insults you want to throw out?

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2016 11:14 AM

jessek12:
    Who have extensive, EXTENSIVE yardage books, with pages upon pages of notes. And green maps showing exact contours, slopes, distances. They also use laser rangefinders and pace off exact yardages.

Funnily enough all of these are also provided in WGT ;)

What I love is the people going "all that calculation takes ages and this makes it quicker",

when there's barely 10s of calculation involved. Would probably take as much time entering all the stuff in.

• GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Fri, Sep 30 2016 2:45 PM

I would sure like to know how you can calculate in your head in 10s. No I'm not being sarcastic. I really want to know. I use programs and maps, etc because I don't know how they do it. Programs are slower for sure with all the data entry, using a hand calculator and going back and forth from the game to the programs. Mostly from people I've met that don't need programs are players that have been on WGT for years. Eventually those of us won't need programs either but it's gonna take time. 

And I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't know the people who are behind their computer. That person could have a mental disorder or some other disability that need the programs even if it does in fact take more time. Everyone deserves to do whatever they need to make WGT fun and not frustrating trying to level up and tier up.

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sat, Oct 1 2016 12:26 AM

GitUsummaDis:
    I would sure like to know how you can calculate in your head in 10s.

Thats more for those who do calculations... I'd say its fair enough using those programs but if you don't have any idea how the program comes up with those numbers then it is bit of a cheat sheet really.

I dont really do calculations using multiplications and trignometry and more or less do basic approximation depending on the region i want to hit. So basically for 175 with 10-12 HW I'd take a bit of spin off fbs from my 6i.

RSS