Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Getting Back Into the Game

Fri, Jan 7 2011 9:22 AM (5 replies)
  • EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Thu, Jan 6 2011 12:17 PM

OK, lets be honest here. I'm not playing as much as I used.

OK, I didn't play THAT much to start with, and as my Tour Pro ranking will show you, I'm not what you call a good player either. But in the 2 months, I have played very few rounds.

Now, believe me, I WANT to keep playing. But something inside of me is stopping myself from doing so. My links to WGTLS and the English Lakes CC means I am still very much up to date with the game, and following them makes me want to play. But somehow, my heart isn't in it as much as it used to be.

So, does anyone have any tips to get me back? Something that will make this game, in the best way I can put it, 'fun' before I start my 3rd year here?

• fabbybabby
    289 Posts
    Thu, Jan 6 2011 1:35 PM

Elllisspice yes get  your self attached to a good country club,

makes all the diffrence i joined a new one we have only 18 members,but we play ryder cup regular, all the majors give it ago and enjoy the game again good luck.

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Thu, Jan 6 2011 1:52 PM

play alternate shot....its social.....and can sometimes be erotic...i mean erratic! (good clean fun)

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Jan 6 2011 1:55 PM

Hi Ellis,

Good to hear from you, and good to see you are still involved.

3 yrs in June or July for me I think !! Then its my 4th year. WOW !!  Like you I have not been playing that much of late. I think it happens to everyone eventually, and I found a good break can help. I still dont play as much as I use to, but I didnt play at all for about 6 weeks or more - the get up and go, got up and went lol

I am in a really great CC, and eventually I started to play a couple of our CTTH comps, and actually won one - WOW. Then I played in out club championship - a bit rusty mind you- but I still found I could shoot a 66 or a 69, and I started to enjoy it a bit more.

Then I started to play about 1 round per week, and that seemed to be quite enjoyable. Played some quite good rounds - the break doesn't seem to have affected my ranking, its not that great anyway. Certainly I am a bit rusty, but thats cool I'm not playing for sheep stations anyway. But I found I was quite looking forward to my rounds again, and the enthusiasm started to flood back - well trickle back lol

Now I find I havent played in over a week, but I will again when I feel the need to.

I think a nice break does the world of good, but there are other things in life outside of WGT that sometimes take priority, but I'll still hang around and play when I feel like it. It still is a great game.

Dont know if that helps or not Ellis - but thats my tips for a long career at WGT

Happy New Year to you.

Cheers

Doug 

PS -  The boys will be bringing the ashes back soon  :-)

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Fri, Jan 7 2011 8:14 AM

CC is not a problem, that's for sure... English Lakes CC is one of the best CCs out there, and I was lucky to be invited to it the day it started! (That and it'll prove it's the best by winning the CC League, but that's for another thread).

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. It all sound good! (Well, except for the erotic AS. Not my cup of tea on a mostly male site!)

P.S. Sure sure Dork, keep dreaming on...

• Yoda79
    697 Posts
    Fri, Jan 7 2011 9:22 AM

Hello Ellis. I haven't been here near as long as you. January 15th will be my 6 month mark. But I know what you mean. I made master in my 3rd or 4th month. So I know all the courses. Not saying that I'm a excellent player. Still have much to learn. But it did start to become boring. Then, as suggested above, I found a GREAT CC. And that alone made me become more interested. But my suggestion to you is what about downloading something like "skype" or "teamspeak". Find out who has it in your CC or among your friends and get yourself a pair of headsets with a mic and you then have the ability to chat to your opponent without typing. And being a new user of teamspeak, let me tell you it makes all of the difference in the world. You can sit back and just really enjoy the game especially in Alternate mode. You and your partner can discuss tactics or ball placement. It just enhances this game. Plus you can talk and even get to know some of your friends better than what you may know now. So for me it has made the game fun again. Even though I'm playing the same old courses. If you can get a couple people on their and have a game together, then your going to have a wonderful time. Other than that. I would have to agree with the post above about just taking a break. Being a gamer I know that if I lose interest in something if I just take a break from it then go back to it say in about a months time or so, I go back feeling rejuvenated. Sometimes it takes longer than a month. Sometimes shorter. So those are my opinions or ideas on how to help ya. So I hope this has helped. Good luck to ya.

RSS