Forums

Help › Forums

Re: A smidge about servers, the internet and whatnot

Thu, Aug 13 2015 9:06 PM (40 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2015 11:19 AM

andyson:
    If WGT reduced the frame rate to 30fps then Flash only needs to update the screen every 33 msec. thus giving more time to complete other work before skipping a beat on the meter.

Didn't they do this already? I thought that was what caused all the dot speed issues some people have.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2015 12:14 PM

No.  They still run the meter at 60.  But back in January they did change how their code set the frame rate and that caused the dots to run faster and the loading/searching wheels to spin faster.  IIRC, the dots used to run at 30, the change made the dots run too fast at 60fps, and "the fix" adjusted the "dots code" to run better at 60fps.   I just checked again to make sure the info is accurate and it is.  I use Chrome's built in Frame Rate counter to measure.  So both the dots and meter are running at 60fps.

• PhiEaglesFan
    617 Posts
    Fri, Jul 31 2015 10:14 PM

andyson:
    PhiEaglesFan:
    Let me remind you that WGT has a freakin' helicopter.
    Are you absolutely sure of that?

But I searched the FAA aircraft registry anyway.  Nothing showed up for WGT or World Golf Tour.

No, likely a private rental.  However, I don't think getting rental copters is the same as going to Enterprise.  Whether rented per use or there's some sort contract, that kind of expense isn't cheap (though I guess that depends on who's wallet you're talking to).

PhiEaglesFan:
    [... bunch of stuff about unique views ...]
    andyson:
    # of views/day = # of people/day ? 1 view per person?  That can't be right PEF.
      No, there's much more traffic than that due to multiple visits in a day from the same devices, but I'm trying to keep it simple. And I can point to Alexa as back up for the numbers I'm throwing out, rather than just throwing out any number.  It still conveys the general idea.

andyson:
    All that aside, I do agree the servers have zero to do with a jerky meter.  Remember when you could unplug or disable your internet connection and still take a swing?
    Ha, yes I do.  They use to tell us to do that to show us that the game was all handled locally until you hit the final click on your shot.

andyson:
    But my 6 month old 4th gen i7, 16G RAM, nvidea GPU with h/w accel on, and Skype, Excel, Notepad, and a graphics program all running idles in the game at 8 to 9 % CPU usage and I still get an occasional bad meter!
    Same.  I occasionally run into a situation where the meter literally jumps an inch at a time on the screen.  I usually go diving into Process Explorer then and locate what's eating memory/cpu cycles.  Sometimes there's nothing obvious, so I just look at Flash with that evil eye and give it a minute to get over itself.  Sometimes a restart is required. 

Sometimes when I'm in full screen I can't communicate.  It just sits there "Loading..." and the only way to fix it is drop out of full screen mode.  Every time I go full-screen the Flash Viewer opens and I'm active on that instead, so I wonder what problems using the standalone viewer is causing.

andyson:
    So I disagree when you say its all in our system.  WGT still ignores Adobe's recommendations for Optimizing Flash Performance by running the meter animation at 60 frames per second when Adobe says "In general, use the lowest possible frame rate for better performance" and " Anything more than 30 frames per second is often unnecessary."

Fair enough.  Though I don't believe they are ignoring it by choice.  There is probably a reason they won't drop to 30, but I can't speculate to what that is.  Do you have the ability to limit your frames locally and see what the meter looks like at 30fps?  I might imagine it would be consistently slightly choppy, but less irregular (if this makes any sense).  Is that better?

andyson:
    [... More Flash Schoolin' ...]

That's some interesting info in that doc.  A good read (I didn't read all 96 pages though).  Again, it leads me to wonder why they have actively chosen 60fps.  If it is better to drop to 30, I would imagine that would've been one of the first things they did some years ago.  Something is preventing them from doing that.  I can't imagine they're like "haha screw them".  I _know_ they aren't like that.  Could you speculate as to why they can't/won't switch?  You are more knowledgeable on Flash and AS3 than I.

andyson:
    The other thing WGT could do is stop sending friend status updates to the game client while it's your turn to shoot.  That's work the game client has to do.  We're told to shut down all other apps for a smooth meter yet WGT finds it OK to send un-needed (IMO) work directly to the game client while we're shooting! SMH  But that's a whole 'nother thread and this post is already too long!

100% agreed.

Thanks for responding.  Always enjoy your reads.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 6:23 AM

PhiEaglesFan:
    Always enjoy your reads.

Heh, enjoy ain't the word for me. You two guys could yak all day about this stuff. Don't mind me-I'm the one in the corner all ears/eyes.  ;-)

• KILLER52
    749 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 12:53 PM

...so, uh, is there a Johnson Rod and is it actually connected to anything?

- T

:)

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 9:53 PM

very interesting read P.E.FAN, some great insight from Andyson & yourself..                               

• PhiEaglesFan
    617 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 10:14 PM

1enigma1:

very interesting read P.E.FAN, some great insight from Andyson & yourself..                               

You can GIT OUT!  =P

I always tell people I have two favorite NFL teams most every week.  The Eagles, and whomever is playing the Cowboys.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 10:28 PM

lol, hope ya got some big dogs on that "O" line to block for D. Murray , im counting the weeks till football season..    :)    ..                    :edit    the only eagles i like are my C.C mates & the birds of prey in the wild..

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2015 9:08 AM

PhiEaglesFan:
    Do you have the ability to limit your frames locally and see what the meter looks like at 30fps?  I might imagine it would be consistently slightly choppy, but less irregular (if this makes any sense).  Is that better?

I don't know if its possible to limit our display's FPS, but anything is possible given enough time and money they say....;)

BUT!  You are probably too young to know about turntables that have adjustable speeds for playing 33 1/3 RPM or 45 RPM and even 78 RPM records.  (YJ would know them but you might need to Google turntables and records. ;-) )

Lets say we can limit our displays to 30fps, but WGT is still driving the display at 60fps.  I think it would be like playing a record pressed to play at 45RPM on the turntable set to play 33 1/3 RPM records.  Not a good or meaningful result.

That said, I can answer your question!  I spent yesterday building a Flash meter simulator at 60fps and one at 30fps.  The whole purpose was to compare meters running at 30 and 60 frames per second.

Its a simple simulation using a screenshot of CB #10 as background, A meter bar element to move across the background using AS3 commands in the area where the meter is. And recognition of mouse clicks to start and stop the meter bar moving across the screen.

I gotta stress simple again.  It does not have any of the many movable elements (flag, minimap animations, aim box, camera views, chat, menus, etc. etc.)

If I do say so myself, its pretty damn close to a WGT meter.  It even accelerates a bit on the way towards the ding line.  You'll need to click in the area around the meter.  I kept it simple.

The best way to compare 30 vs 60 is to open the following Flash files in separate windows. adjust the window sizes so both meters are on the screen and you can easily switch back and forth between 30 and 60 simulators.

If you run the sims in the same browser you are reading this in, close all WGT windows including this one or WGT's flash will interfere with the sims just like having other WGT windows open while we are playing in the Game Client. They will be choppy meters unless you close all WGT windows.  (At least my FF meter sims are choppy while I'm typing this)

I've checked these two out in both FireFox and Chrome.  Run them in your browser of choice by copying the below link addresses and pasting it into your address bar.

60 FPS Meter Simulation

30 FPS Meter Simulation

On my gaming laptop, with WGT pages closed, both sims are smooth meters, a very slight difference IMO with the 30 sim being a bit less smooth.  And I have like 8 other programs running at the time with my CPU usage around 10%

I even tried running the sims in Chrome (latest version, latest Pepperflash version) with the game client also running on Chrome showing a 50 foot putt on CB with all the dots being animated.  My CPU jumped to over 40% thanks to all those dots.  Sims were still smooth on Chrome/Pepperflash tho.

Here's a couple of screenshots showing that indeed the sims are running at 30 or 60fps using Chrome's built in Frame Rate Counter.  Unfortunately due to Chrome's choice of colors and fonts the counter text is hard to read so zoom in on the upper right corner of the full image.

I think I answered your question EagleFan.  30fps would be acceptable IMO.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2015 9:17 AM

andyson:
    You are probably too young to know about turntables that have adjustable speeds for playing 33 1/3 RPM or 45 RPM and even 78 RPM records.

LOL. The high end ones had a strobe light that allowed to you get the speeds perfect. ;-)

Nice work.

RSS