Forums

Help › Forums

Re: alternate shots with legends

rated by 0 users
Mon, Dec 27 2010 5:56 PM (7 replies)
  • sleezyd
    15 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 6:48 AM

I am a legend. I play alternate shot games. I usually play with random players. These random players are usually masters, tour pros, or pros.

It's bad enough that I have to tee off 40 yds behind everybody else with the same equipment as them. But what bothers me most are the greens. Why the hell are the green speeds "tournament style?" I suck at tournament style greens. How the hell are the other pro players gonna survive? Which they don't survive. I've never seen so many three putts in my life.

WGT, please think about evening out the playing field during multiplayer games.

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 11:56 AM

As a fellow legend player, i welcome the extra green speed.  This is the only thing that levels the playing field to my advantage.  As a legend, you putt these greens every time you play.  Every ranked stroke play game for you uses tournament speed greens.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Thu, Dec 23 2010 12:30 PM

BUMP     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• C00LRUNNINGZ
    5 Posts
    Fri, Dec 24 2010 9:46 AM

me personally being new to this game and loving the alt shot format, i had the pleasure of playing a game with a Legend and had him in my pair, i got to admit it was a struggle with the extra distance that they have to play him leaving me long second shots and the green speed was completely different to what i am curently used to and yes it was diffficult to change to but then i was given the correct putting formula and it made it easier, but i personally feel i would i learnt alot from him and iit was a great experience as for playing on faster green & higher winds & long tees it was a challenge but one i enjoyed it

• mountainview
    40 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2010 9:45 PM

I am a legend enjoy playing alternate shot with players from all tiers.   Not to mention that it is easier to get into a game that way.  However, when on of my drives is 96 yards behind an opposing play, my partner is placed in a very bad position.  Couple that with the green speeds and you have very unhappy players that are being forced to play above their level.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2010 10:06 PM

sleezyd:

I am a legend. I play alternate shot games. I usually play with random players. These random players are usually masters, tour pros, or pros.

It's bad enough that I have to tee off 40 yds behind everybody else with the same equipment as them. But what bothers me most are the greens. Why the hell are the green speeds "tournament style?" I suck at tournament style greens. How the hell are the other pro players gonna survive? Which they don't survive. I've never seen so many three putts in my life.

WGT, please think about evening out the playing field during multiplayer games.

Legends always play tournament greens i find them easier cause i know them to be honest...

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 3:48 AM

the easiest answer would be to give legends a decent driver.

i know i'm not for making the step up through the course of time to legend if they don't have a decent driver and other tiers can drive closer to the greens than them using a cricket bat.....doesn't seem a fair handicap to me.

i'm thinking how lucky we are that WGT isn't a track and field site.....else they'd have legends running the 110m hurdles with both legs tied together. :)

tbe

• Heisman12
    102 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 5:56 PM

I'm currently a Tour Master who should be very close to making Legend.  I also play with pretty much top-of-the-line equipment.  I think most would agree that the better Tour Master players have an advantage over most Legend players, simply because of the driving distance.  

That said, I've played a few alternate-shot games with and against Legends, and I've come out on the losing end more often than not.  This is probably because most Legend players are pretty freakin good.  I've learned several new shots, from getting out of trouble to hitting tough approaches with long irons.  Also, consider the advantage a Legend has when paired up with a lower-ranked player; when you are used to hitting 180+ yard approaches and get several 120ish approaches, the Legend proves to be very accurate.

I happen to love the alt-shot format for those and several other reasons.  It forced me to expand my game, and my average has dropped from hovering near 65 into the low 62's, simply because my skill set improved.

Hopefully, I'll be making Legend soon, and then I'll probably join the ranks of those who want a longer driver and/or other adjustments.  But for now, I'm looking forward to the challenge and am prepared to watch my scores suffer as a result of my (hopeful) promotion.  

Variety is the spice of life, and it certainly keeps this game from getting boring.

Oh yeah, I should also point out (somewhat on topic) that alt-shot is the only format I've seen where players NEVER quit during a game.  Telling?

RSS