Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Ball in and out, what's the rule?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 7 2009 12:32 PM (5 replies)
  • southsideduc
    22 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2009 5:59 AM

I hit a shot on BB 13 that I think went in and out of the cup.

See the replay here:

http://www.wgt.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=429052

Whether it did or didn't, I'm not sure, but it got me wondering about the official rule in regards to this situation.  Does a ball that goes into the cup have to stay in the cup a certain period of time before it counts as in?

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2009 6:33 AM

I think the official ruling is the ball must stay in the cup. No in and outs. It's either in or out. Now a ruling exists for balls that sit on the edge of the cup (note Tiger's shot on 16 at the Masters a few years ago). I think you get 15 seconds to see if the ball falls in; otherwise it's another stroke to put it in. I don't have my official USGA rule book with me or I'd quote the specific rule numbers, but I hope this helped anyway.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2009 6:54 AM

I had that exact same thing happen to me in real life, so I did some checking... and I think the official rule is something like, the ball must come to rest below the top of the cup to be considered in the hole.  This is not a direct quote because I can't remember the wording.  It really sucked cuz it would've been my first ever eagle... I'm not very good in real life so that would have made my decade for sure!  I'll try to find the official rule...

Lee

*Edit* Taken from usga.org under Section II Definitions:

Holed
    A ball is "holed" when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole and all of it is below the level of the lip of the hole.

• southsideduc
    22 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2009 8:05 AM

Thanks guys!

• mabe
    32 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2009 11:43 AM

And to Middle4man:

16-2.Ball Overhanging Hole
    When any part of the ball overhangs the lip of the hole, the player is
    allowed enough time to reach the holewithout unreasonable delay
    and an additional ten seconds to determine whether the ball is at rest.
    If by then the ball has not fallen into the hole, it is deemed to be at
    rest. If the ball subsequently falls into the hole, the player is deemed to
    have holed out with his last stroke, and must add a penalty stroketo his
    score for the hole; otherwise, there is no penalty under this Rule.

• gadzuks
    44 Posts
    Tue, Jul 7 2009 12:32 PM

Bummer man, helluva shot, i've done it myself...but alas...it's gotta stay in.!!!!

RSS