Help › Forums

Re: Wedges, the more the better?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 21 2010 9:01 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • GoldCard
    298 Posts
    Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:40 AM

While having the right clubs is important, knowing what each club you have in your bag will do is the most important thing.

All comes down to practice and note taking:)

• golferfrank63
    187 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 12:35 AM

i agree 4 wedges leaves a big gap

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 5:56 AM

Depends on which irons you use. The I15's with the 215 yard 3 iron  makes a good set with 4 optional wedges. Only drawback is you have to play most if not all of the par 5's as a 3 shot hole.Most of the time an iron will reach # 5 @ St.Andrews at least from the Mater tier tees.And if you don't have the 3 wood in the bag and the 3 iron wont reach # 5 a punched driver will. # 14 can be reached with an iron at times also. Depending on wind conditions all 4 par 5's @ Kia can be reached in 2 with an iron. # 4 @ BPB is a crap shoot going for the green anytime. and as long as # 13 @ BPB is it can't even be reached with a 3 wood but I still use the 3 wood there because at times you need it to reach # 7 in regulation and # 15 as well. I haven't played Oakmont enough to remember. I will take the 3 wood out of the bag in favor of a 4 th wedge @ Kia And St\.Andrews a lot. And for CTTH and Blitz play I always ditch the 3 wood  and  use 4 wedges. Sometimes I'll even take out the driver and have 5 optional wedges. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:13 AM

GoldCard:
    knowing what each club you have in your bag will do is the most important thing.

Without question. There are 5 yardages for every club, depending on the shot setup. How many know them, let alone use them?

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 9:01 AM

Ok...so yesterday I decided to make my move on the clubs and I did go with the 4 wedge setup....gotta say, so far I like it alot.  Here's how I set the bag up, and how I'm utilizing it:

• G10 Driver: 270 yards
    • G10 Irons: 210 - 115 yards
    • Ping Tour W 52 deg: 100 yards, 36 yard flop
    • Ping Tour W 58 deg: 85 yards, 71 yard punch, 31 yard flop
    • Ping Tour W 60 deg: 75 yards, 62 yard punch, 25 yard flop
    • Ping Tour W 64 deg: 60 yards, 49 yard punch, 19 yard flop
    • Ping Redwood ZB putter: Had this forever, and don't see myself changing...love it.

I've sealed a ton of holes in my approach game with this setup.  I think as I get some more rounds under my belt over the next few days, I will start to get better and lower my score further.

borntobesting: Never thought of adding the 5th wedge in Blitz play...I'm gonna give it a try...thanks for all the info.

• PAGES
RSS