Forums

Help › Forums

Re: so many problems playing the usga open final round

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 22 2009 10:02 PM (7 replies)
  • welshwizard1
    17 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 4:32 PM

dear w.g.t. i had so many problems playing the final round in the usga open.every time i went to strike the ball the bar would jump horribly this carried on right the way through my game. i even turned my cp off  after the front 9 if you look into my stats im sure you can see my front 9 average is a lot better than what my score was for the front 9. when i resumed my game. hell the same thing was happening to me again, was i locked into the same game i started because it got worse as i carried on, ,it was only down to my quicker reactions and intercept the bar hesitating that my back 9 wasnt so bad but the problem  did persist right through my game. i accept that  the rules state its a 1 off round and its your best score that counts, but should a player have to put up with an error not caused by any fault of his own. i just wanted to point the error out as im sure i wont be the only player to complain about something ....sincerely welshwizard1

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 5:37 PM

I have to agree a little here, too. I certainly didn't have my best round, but I have NEVER seen as many deviations off perfect swings as I did that round. Missing 4' putts because the putt starts at the hole instead of the aim point. I really think that if you change the aim point, sometimes the system doesn't register the change and still thinks you're aiming right for the hole. And compound the deviations with mishits that still go straight.....most frustrating round at BPB I've had. Too bad it was single play. I certainly didn't expect to win, but sheesh......

• iowankid
    57 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:01 PM

I hate to complain because I didnt pay for this tourney with money (only with hair and wits).  But I did have the same problem.  I am glad for all of the hard work that went into putting this together, but some of my hits were acting like nothing that I saw leading up to final.  I probably would have only ended up with an 81...lol.

Thanks for bending an ear and again for bringing some really neat people together that I would not otherwise play golf with. (that includes you Josh).

Later,

Rich

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:06 PM

it happens. I posted a few angry posts during my round. But mostly thats what it is. It passes. Its unfortunate but, its always been that way, and I keep gettin myself angry when I know its happening.

On a brighter side of things, alot of it is computers we are on. I played the game one day a few weeks ago on a brand new Alienware my friend bought, made for gaming basically. And the game didnt have one meter issue, everything was smooth. Wind effects and in game actions are how they are, but the meter was PERFECT when i was on that thing. I guess we all just need mroe power

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 8:06 PM

Shaun,

I hate to disagree, but more power would not have helped the issues you faced with respect to hitting the ball dead on.  As a matter of fact, everyone who plays the game in real life knows that the farther you are able to hit, the farther you are able to hit it in the bush when struck off line.

At heart here is that I have seen a lot of bellyaching by most who qualified (for the record I unfortunately did not) but did you actually think they would make it easy?  They set it up in a such a way that only the true WGT masters could have a chance to win.  And that I suspect was by finding a way to block the bots that were used by those who qualified.    Again, I didn't make the cut, but I practiced like mad and I run a pretty sweet CPU which hardly ever had any lag issues.  I have mastered every other golf game (except the real one of course) (I'm a 9.2 HC) but never have I been daunted by such a random swing bar.  I even timed the swing bar on every shot I took, and rarely were the results even.  Sometimes 2.2 seconds, sometimes 3.1, sometimes 1.8?!?!?!?!.  So to hit it on the money every time requires more than good hand eye-coordination to shoot 61 on this very difficult course.  But to shoot your worse score ever on the course when it truly mattered, well, something smells funny, nerves be damned.  

I find in real golf, I play better when I am nervous when there is something on the line.  As a matter of fact, I'll put my money were mouth is and challenge anyone who lives in my vicinity to a little game nearby and let's play for fun of course, $100 a hole, with carryovers and low gross front and back and total for another 500 each.  That's a total of... $3,300.  You had nerves today, let's see what you do when real money is on the line.  If you cleaned me out, you'd have your ticket to Pebble Beach for next year just like that.  But in real golf, I'm watching,........

Cheaters will always cheat, and it's a shame that WGT systems could not detect that.  Not once have I read a post about someone being booted for cheating.  Are you telling me nobody has cracked this game?  

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 8:08 PM

i meant computer power. Not hitting power

• callawayjay
    46 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 8:34 PM

CPU power I doubt would help you hit the perfect line every time which is what is required in this game.  I have witnessed on a 4 foot putt with no break, and a slight miss, the ball completely missed the hole.  Flash is the cheapest way to host this game and it works well, but I noticed some lag in multiplayer but not end of the world stuff.  Overall this is an incredible game, and I cannot wait to see the Old Course at St-Andrews.  

But to miss by a fraction and miss the green by 10 yards leads me to believe that those who qualified have A) amazing eyesight, B) the best hand eye-coordination in the world C) the most sound golf intuition D) and apparently all the time in the world to practice.  However the practice argument is flawed because one day after the full 18 was released there were rounds of 64 posted on BPB.   Luck?  

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 10:02 PM

it makes the meter alot smoother, no skips. it helps alot, trust me

RSS