Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What would you advise yourself if starting afresh?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 26 2014 6:37 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Aug 21 2014 11:13 AM

I would advise myself to just do the same the second time around.

An excerpt from my profile page Blog entries:

Legend
    26 Mar 2013 at 3:35 PM

I started on WGT a year ago almost to the day. 623 ranked rounds.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Aug 21 2014 1:26 PM

I agree 100% with srellim234 on each point.

I used starters for over a year, had no idea what I was doing for half that time, but it was fun. When I finally tiered up to masters - I upgraded clubs. My advice would be to get late level 50's and upgrade. The equipment has improved dramatically at the lower levels and designed to tier players up faster - the reality is they have little clue of how to actually play the game. IMO one upgrade can last you till legend if you are smart.

Hence why reading and asking questions in the forum is very important - had I known about the forums when I first upgraded, the advice offered would have been based on experience and would have saved me some coin!

CC's and friends are what has kept me playing, and whilst I play less now, I still enjoy playing with friends - golf can be bad but the company is worth every cent.

Only other advice I would suggest - start earning credits from day 1 if they are available where you live - I have never been able to acquire many free credits, but if the are available - do them and start accruing for that upgrade.

Otherwise and IMHO - open your wallet, for the entertainment value, it is a cheap form of entertainment.

And if none of the above works, RUN AWAY - it is highly addictive

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Aug 21 2014 2:43 PM

In my book, taking notes is very important. Pun intended.

I would use any method it takes just to jot down any, usual, basic observations about the hole, then jot down anything that worked, and what to watch out for - common mishaps.

It's important to have brevity (to be concise) when writing notes because when you are playing you just want a short sentence to read.

(Although, I end up with 1 or 2 small paragraphs)

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Thu, Aug 21 2014 7:17 PM

It may not seem this way at first, but XP is much harder to come by than credits. So play more rounds and watch fewer ads. And always play a hole to get the consecutive days bonus if it's at all possible.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Aug 21 2014 9:19 PM

1. Understand the 1 hole a day CDP;

2. Buying before L59 is not necessary;

3. Speak to really good players having joined a CC at Master;

4. By again at L90

5. No rush to tier up

6. Do not enter a 1000 credit RG at AM L20 (???) level and get really stuffed.  Daft now looking back nut knew crap all about gaming having only ever done things like bought PS1s / 2s for the kids......Sounds v dumb looking back bu was flying I thought as this game is not all that different to 1988 PGA Tour IMHO, just WAY more advanced lol.  Live n learn:)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Aug 22 2014 3:34 AM

ApexPC:

Legend
    26 Mar 2013 at 3:35 PM

Yes

One thing I would do ( which I regret not doing) and that is to keep a record of when I got promoted to each Tier and saved a copy of my stats at that stage.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 22 2014 8:07 AM

SweetiePie:
    " I don't know what I would do". ~ SP ~

With enhanced reflection, I would latch on to the Putter Pal & Shot guide scales and get married to both.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Aug 23 2014 8:12 AM

I would advise myself the same as I did. Don't worry about average just play because it's fun. You can't get to the next Tier late.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Sat, Aug 23 2014 6:29 PM

As with real golf the short game is what makes you a good player.I would have spent  more time on  learning my wedges.  Way to many flop shots when I first started playing.

• tubbytubb
    121 Posts
    Tue, Aug 26 2014 6:37 PM

Don't worry so much about the destination, (tiering up)  and enjoy the ride.   Get in a CC imediatley (all you english proffesors can correct my spelling), I have met in person a couple of guys from my CC, and even played a real life round with one.  Had a blast hollaring "DING" on the course  lol.  oh yeah, and don't worry about what the english proffesssssssooorrr's say.

• PAGES
RSS