Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 1999 Ryder Cup - America Won A Cup & Lost A Legend

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 3 2010 7:07 PM (6 replies)
  • SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 3:39 PM

I often remember as a young teenager watching Sunday golf with father and snickering every time I saw Payne Stewart all dressed up in his Knickers and Ivy Cap. Payne was not the greatest golfer in the world but was known for many things. He was loved by all fans, I never really heard of anyone who did not like him. Payne Stewart epitomized not only to me, but the entire golf world what honor was when he picked up Colin Montogomery's ball on the final hole conceding the match in 1999. None of us ever knew that Ryder Cup, his 5th would be his last. I remember watching the memorial on TV and finally loosing it when the bagpiper played amazing grace through the veiled fog. I remember later that year when Stuart Appleby organized a tribute and showed up in one of Payne's own outfits. So as we head into the final round tommorow I hope that we all take a moment to remember not what America lost, but what the golfing community lost. I do miss the man and his love of golf and life.

Payne can be seen at the 4:00 Mark

• Rickypro
    559 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 3:54 PM

Well said.  Thanks for posting.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:11 PM

Thanks

• SteveOx
    699 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 5:19 PM

Excellent Post, Thank you

• bucknut68
    84 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 6:07 PM

Thank you for helping all of us remember a great golfer, but even more, a great father and human being. If you have not read his book yet, pick it up and enjoy a good read. A very good christian man and a true loss to the golf world. Thank you for the post.

• toona
    389 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 6:15 PM

He was a fine human being and in my eyes a great golfer.Thanks for the post

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Oct 3 2010 7:07 PM

bucknut68:

Thank you for helping all of us remember a great golfer, but even more, a great father and human being. If you have not read his book yet, pick it up and enjoy a good read. A very good christian man and a true loss to the golf world. Thank you for the post.

I will, thanks for the recommendation!

RSS