skip nav

Forums

Re: What Controls Meter Speed?

Sun, Aug 25 2019 8:11 AM by TopShelf2010. 45 replies.
  • free2402 Australia
    28 Posts
    Fri, Jul 26 2019 6:51 PM

When I first stated with WGT, I went through all the usual metre problems. As my ranking improved the metre seemed to 'remain calm' and playable, regardless of the ball. I got sick of buying balls, so just went with the range balls. Everything seemed fine. I started to think that if I chose the wrong club or shot selection the metre suddenly punished me for the error. So my game improved and I was consistantly shooting sub par rounds with range balls and no metre problems.

Now we have a new owner and the metre has gone crazy. This new owner and its back-room boys has added 8 shots to my game now. The metre is constantly on steroids and the game has become really frustrating. 

I wonder if the IT guys set the metre to suit the bottom line and try to promote players into a game that isn't really 'free', because if you want to enjoy then you have to buy balls to do so.

Anyone agree with this logic or is it just me being paranoid about a new owner and their desire to monetarise the game and profit from a new aquistion? 

Digg
    Delicious
  • DoctorLarry United States
    2,350 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 5:37 PM

I don't think the ownership of WGT has changed anytime recently.  I also have heard that WGT is not a major source of income for Topgolf, so while they all want to make money, this is not how they do it.  They do that with their worldwide centers, I believe.

I have not noticed any real change in meter speed - there are some times when my CPU is loaded, so I stop other tasks, but that is rare for me.

I will note that playing with the free balls and lower level irons and putter introduces a lot more uncertainty in the results of any given shot, but not through the meter - that is just how the game is designed.

Has anything else changed lately - tiering up, different clubs, etc?

Digg
    Delicious
  • Garlen1 United States
    2 Posts
    Thu, Aug 22 2019 2:15 PM

I guess what I want to know is whether the meter speeds for the ball and for the club are simply added together, and if so, can the resulting meter speed really be greater than 5.0? E.g., if the club's meter speed is 4.5, is there any point in having a ball with a meter speed greater than 1.0?

Digg
    Delicious
  • DoctorLarry United States
    2,350 Posts
    Thu, Aug 22 2019 7:48 PM

Garlen1:
    if the club's meter speed is 4.5, is there any point in having a ball with a meter speed greater than 1.0?

Yes - if you want a slower meter.

Most preferable is to get all clubs with a similar meter speed so you get a consistent timing on the swing.  Then you can get balls that meet your budget and playing limits.

Digg
    Delicious
  • VEM9000 United States
    166 Posts
    Sun, Aug 25 2019 7:11 AM

Scientific evidence would suggest that the meter speed is directly proportional to that of the hamster drive unit. This has been discussed many times over in many different threads. Apparently, no one at WGT monitors the hamsters coffee intake ( erratic speed ) or what foods give them the hiccups ( jumpy meter ). Until such time as WGT scrapes together enough cash to hire a dietician, I'm afraid we'll all just have to live with it.

Vem:)

Digg
    Delicious
  • TopShelf2010 United States
    8,625 Posts
    Sun, Aug 25 2019 8:11 AM

VEM9000:

Scientific evidence would suggest that the meter speed is directly proportional to that of the hamster drive unit. This has been discussed many times over in many different threads. Apparently, no one at WGT monitors the hamsters coffee intake ( erratic speed ) or what foods give them the hiccups ( jumpy meter ). Until such time as WGT scrapes together enough cash to hire a dietician, I'm afraid we'll all just have to live with it.

Vem:)

Thank you Sir for that most thought out explanation. I have a thorough visual of how this process works now.

Much appreciated

Don

Digg
    Delicious
RSS