Forums

Help › Forums

What Controls Meter Speed?

Tue, Feb 9 2021 5:17 AM (49 replies)
  • Slojoeguam
    163 Posts
    Tue, Feb 25 2014 6:17 PM

I've done a bunch of reading on the subject and can't seem to find the answer to this question or figure it out. I'm about to upgrade my clubs a little and want to figure out what speed my meter currently is first (i.e. what i am used to).

I am currently using a MAX distance 10.5 degree driver that is rated 4.0 for meter speed. I've been using 2  different balls: 1) Callaway Hex Chrome+ slow meter balls rated at 3.5 for meter speed and 2) Taylormade Lethal balls rated 2.5 for meter speed.

Okay, so here's the question. What determines the meter speed? The driver? The ball? The ball only on the green? Little help?

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2014 11:37 AM

Both the club and ball meter speed ratings.

But, the club meter speed rating determines the final meter speed you see on your display.

My ball is rated at 3.5 for meter speed.

Meter speed for my putter is rated at 5.0, driver and wedges are 3.5, 3-wood is 3.0, irons are 2.5.

So the meter speed I see is slowest when I use the putter.

It is a bit faster when I use my driver and wedges, but the driver and wedges are the same speed .

The meter is a little faster when I use my 3-wood, and is a bit faster than that when I use my irons

• AndyHa2
    5 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:29 PM

ok i'm still lost..I also have wondered what determines the meter speed..but your saying your putter is slow then going progresively faster as your club speeds come down....so if your clubs are determining the speed whats the reason for a ball to have a meter speed please?

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:56 PM

AndyHa2:
    so if your clubs are determining the speed whats the reason for a ball to have a meter speed please?

Try all your clubs with the starter ball and see what the difference a good ball makes with the same clubs.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 1:21 PM

AndyHa2:

so if your clubs are determining the speed whats the reason for a ball to have a meter speed please?

The ball I play is rated at 3.5.

If I use a ball rated at 2.0, all my clubs will have a faster meter speed.The faster meter speed will still vary based on the club's rated meter speed.

• Capifonis
    89 Posts
    Wed, Mar 12 2014 2:01 PM

To slow down the meter speed you need to pick a ball and clubs that have slower meter speed built into them.

Max balls have the slowest meter in the balls group.  5.0 for feel.

Max Meter Clubs have the slowest meter in clubs. at 4.5 for feel.

If you go for all feel you have to sacrifice somewhere.  Max balls have less spin then others.  Max club also have less spin and distance.

You can get cheaper balls with 3 or 3.5 feel like Calloways or Nikes.

Depends on personal preference and how much you want to spend.  I use Max ball and with slower feel clubs.

I prefer and do much better with a slower meter.  Some players are just fine with a faster one.  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 6:59 AM

AndyHa2:
    ok i'm still lost..I also have wondered what determines the meter speed

The meter speed specification, period. The higher the number, the slower the meter whether it's on the ball or the club. Club speeds do not affect putter speeds. The ball will affect all club and putter meters the same way.

• AndyHa2
    5 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:22 AM

ok thanks for the replies everyone i understand the higher the number the slower the speed etc....but take my clubs..i have  meter speed of 3 on my irons and a meter speed of 2 on my ball.........so is my meter going to be 3 the speed of my irons....or 2 the speed of my ball?

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:46 AM

The club speed is set, that's your base speed, which can then be slowed further by buying better balls.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:56 AM

AndyHa2:
    .i have  meter speed of 3 on my irons and a meter speed of 2 on my ball.........so is my meter going to be 3 the speed of my irons....or 2 the speed of my ball?

Treat them as separate. Like Paul said, your clubs are whatever they are-using the free ball will show you their true speed. The ball slows that speed down.

RSS