Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The forgotten Legends

rated by 0 users
Sun, Sep 5 2010 8:49 AM (5 replies)
  • ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Sun, Sep 5 2010 5:18 AM

I have noticed that scores are still being posted by Legends in the low 30s for ready goes which a lot of people are pointing to as justification for the extreme increase in difficulty handed to these players.

I think it is worth pointing out however that these scores are likely being posted by those old masters who had sub 60 averages and were in a completely different league to those who averaged 62-64 of which I was included.

I have no doubt that the true legends in this game can handle the increased difficulty and still compete on level terms but I am not one of those. Assuming a current tour master crosses the average threshold to under 64 (or whatever it is) and is promoted to Legend, I just cannot see how that average can be kept unless they are one of the few serious gifted true masters. Unfortunately there is now no way back.

I fear my average will continue to rise to about 67 or 68 and until a 300+ driver is released I cant see it dropping back any time soon. I feel like a phony, with this Legend label and a continuously increasing average.

I will not give up and I do appreicate challenges but I honestly think that Legend tier should be reserved for the very best in the game... and thats not me.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Sep 5 2010 5:48 AM

Very well put and a situation I find myself in too. My average will now sit around the 67/68 mark, not that I ever cared about it anyway and I will not be competitive in ready go tournaments. I can only hope something changes to give me a better fighting chance in the near future.

My main gripe about it all is the principle of it in the first place. Punishing those who have excelled, ie Bollox, Price, Avatar, Iconian etc etc for being too good in order to give lesser skilled and committed players a chance is utter nonsense.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Sun, Sep 5 2010 6:04 AM

I suppose the same is true in real golf with amature tournaments. The better you get the lower your average becomes and the harder it is to compete but it can go up again. The real life handicap system is there to ensure you are constantly competing against yourself not others. Such a system is always open to manipulation by those with fewer morals than the rest of us.

The difference with WGTs tiering system is that it is too rigid: I am now at the same 'handicap' as Bollox, Price and Avatar and yet am nowhere near their capability. Since the equipment is now going to be unlocked based on experience points could we not have a system where we can be demoted back a teir if our scores rise too much?

I know this would make sandbaggers jump for joy but I cant think of anything else right now.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sun, Sep 5 2010 6:36 AM

I made a suggestion to leave all the changes where they are at and move everyone down a tier to their original levels. Legend would have to be something that would now be earned rather than given to you and it would give them time to develop a 300+ driver.

• ComplexP
    250 Posts
    Sun, Sep 5 2010 7:00 AM

That is exactly the right way to go I think. Legend should be something to aspire to with the reward of the very best gear in the game. Otherwise, what is the point in getting there?

If this happened in real life you would spend 15 years trying to become the best and as soon as you finally reach tour pro you have one hand tied behind your back and get beaten with reeds.

• Beryman
    9,084 Posts
    Sun, Sep 5 2010 8:49 AM

Im outta here!!!

RSS