Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New Tiers, Levels ratings and Club Purchases

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 7 2014 6:13 PM (84 replies)
  • TDHarvey
    433 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 7:02 AM

lol elli***e......wtf... i understand *** is a no-no and should be but ive always thought it was elli  ***e or ellis pice or a combo like that....never once thought of it in a racist connitation until i just saw that lololol..... unreal....

• bigred36
    47 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 7:07 AM

I agree with your stand on this change.  I have only been playing for 3 mo, and have just reached the "pro" level.  Having a little more confidence in my game, I decided to invest in some new clubs!  What a shock to discover that now that I am a "pro", I can't buy clubs that other "pro" players have since they upgraded prior to this change.  As an example, I have a choice (at level 12) to buy two "upgrades", both of which are inferior to many selections other "pro" players are using!  At level 13, I get one more choice, then 18, then 24 etc.  How long will it take me to reach the level of equipment that the other "pros" have?  This is ridiculous.  Let all players buy what they like, just like the real game!  If you find you can't control your clubs, you will pay for it in your score!!  Looks like I will be playing less and enjoying it more!  I enjoy playing with those who are better than I am, and discussing equipment with them.  Have had many good tips as I first started out, but now find I can't exercise my right to change clubs without WGT's permission.  Disgusting.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 7:10 AM

Ellis***e:

everyone is in the same boat, so stop your moaning. Just go back and play the game,

Boy have you missed the point. Try reading it all again.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 8:02 AM

Ellis... how clever of you to have hidden a racial slur in the middle of your name all these months!

I started another thread on this exact topic yesterday, as I noticed more and more words truncated with little *****'s.  It's under the title "Silly Business" in Product Suggestions.  Perhaps I should have titled it "What the F**k is This?!"

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 10:03 AM

The obvious "fix" is for WGT to review the recent determination and open equipment purchases based on both tier level and experience level.  No new "Master" should be placed in a position of not being able to adequately compete within his/her new tier simply because he/she suddenly can't purchase the equipment that those who preceded him/her had available to purchase.

Master level equipment should be available to every member who is deemed a "master", Pro level equipment should be available to everyone who is deemed a "pro"...that simple...adding experience as another pathway to better equipment is fine; but don't take away the reward of reaching a new tier and replace it with punishment instead; the punishment being playing against new tier opponents who are much better equipped.

Harve

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 10:05 AM

Thanks for your feedback.  We are looking into the situation where a player was bumped into a higher tier in the release and had no chance to buy the equipment.

We are gathering data and evaluating modifications to the determination of tiers and levels. Please bear with us, your play and comments will help us tune the systems to be more fun.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 10:23 AM

piztaker:
    Ellis***e:
    everyone is in the same boat, so stop your moaning. Just go back and play the game,

Boy have you missed the point. Try reading it all again.

I don't feel that I have missed the point. Everyone has to deal with the same, harsh level limits (which, by the looks of it, are working on as we speak. I bet some more maintenance is on the way!). I have to deal with the fact that I'm now a Tour Pro, and as such can't play any of the weekly tourneys this week. Annoying, but oh well. Life goes on.

The problems will be fixed. UNTIL then, please, everyone, stop moaning. WGT already know they have messed up, and are fixing it. And until then, keep playing the game. Don't knock it until you have fully tried it. 

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 11:57 AM

Just remove purchasing restrictions. It's a ridiculous idea from the outset: Very bad business strategy to refuse to sell to people.

Surely, all that needs doing is every user gets given legend purchasing power on the server. (Would take a few minutes.) Or modify the minimum purchasing levels for all equipment to hack level 0. Would also only take a few minutes. Can we expect this done by tomorrow please?

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 1:16 PM

WGTadmin2:

Thanks for your feedback.  We are looking into the situation where a player was bumped into a higher tier in the release and had no chance to buy the equipment.

We are gathering data and evaluating modifications to the determination of tiers and levels. Please bear with us, your play and comments will help us tune the systems to be more fun.

Here are my own personal feelings on the update. First, I love the game. I do play it quite a bit, more than a lot, but less than a lot of people also. I started over a year ago and worked my way up to become, imo, a pretty decent player. I haven't put much money into this game overall ($10) because of nice additions like the Ready-Go's.

Second, I think what's happened to the players commenting on this thread is ridiculous - they shouldn't have been moved up a level w/out being allowed to purchase that tier's equipment. That needs to be remedied immediately, whether it's by rolling them back a tier, or simply gifting them master level clubs, because I think a whole segment of players will not play anymore. I really think this needs to be done in the next few days - it's something that just doesn't work.

Third, I understand the rationale behind the "Level" system but I think it's limited in practicality.  There's 2 competing rationales - one, that you want players to work at getting the best stuff; I agree with that. The journey to Master (or now Legend) is one of the fun things about WGT.

Two, I think they want to allow players who aren't Legends or may never become Legends the chance to play with some of the top-line equipment.

Okay, I agree with all that in principle, but judging from the feedback and my own initial experiences, it simply will take too long to achieve higher levels.  This is a golf game, not Final Fantasy, so we don't need to be playing around just to simply "level-up."

Personally, I think the "Tiered" system worked fine, except that there needed to be more striations between levels. I'm not sure this update has accomplished that either - not everyone in the game needs to be a Legend. That should be reserved for very best - for that matter, I am not sure I should be a Legend myself.

Do I have a solution that accomplishes all of WGT's goals? No. I can offer some personal suggestions that I think might help, but admit that most of them haven't been thought all the way through:

1) Roll-back this update, at least with respect to Tiers and Levels. I just don't think the site or the system was ready for it, and it's probably harmed more than it's helped.

2) For a future update, if that is desired, increase the strata between the top-5 levels. I think Legend should be for players that are consistently maintaining a sub-60 or 61 avg.  Tour Master should be 61-64, Master 64-68, etc.

3) If the "level" thing is something that is important to implement (and I'm not sure it should be), I would tie it into metrics that are already counted in the game. For example, one simply way to calculate "levels" could be to use simply stats like:

a. Ranked rounds

b. Top-10 Tournament standings

c. # of HIO's, eagles, birdies, pars, bogeys, etc.

d. CTTH rounds

e. Matchplay wins, MPC wins.

f.  Credits won.

or some other metric, and it should be implemented retroactively.  Players who have over 1500 (or some odd) ranked rounds really shouldn't be required to "level-up." Frankly, I question whether that's even necessary, but if you want to the levels, it should be tied to something tangible

I understand that one of the main things the "level" system is meant to promote is more completed rounds; but honestly, I think the people that care about that complete most rounds, and the ones that don't simply quit. In the long run, based on the current system, there's not enough incentive to take the time to finish simply to level up - b/c it'll take forever anyway.

g.  If that is truly the incentive, consider adding a metric for "rounds not completed." This would be for any reason - quitting, DC's, etc. Obviously some would be unfair, but over time it would probably even out.  You could use this stat as something to decrease levels, or at least inform other players how often their opponent has quit.

4) In the end, it's all just a game, which should be fun, accessible, and allow people to advance in a timely manner. The current system, to me, seems incompatible with that goal and verges on golf simulation - this isn't a great way to attract and keep casual online golf fans from coming back.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy everyone,

C

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Thu, Sep 2 2010 1:38 PM

As I understand the intention for levels is: they are a measure of someone's commitment to playing: how much they 'get involved' but not a measure of their ability:

Levels could be used to provide discounts for tournament entry fees and/or the price of gear. i.e. it would be a reward system.

The tiers are a measure of ability and the benefit they bring should be allowing you to enter the bigger prize competitions (and the respect of other players). (Maybe even sponsership :) logos on their clothes.)

Neither should affect buying equipment, which should be open to all.

RSS