Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Equipment reviews thread

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 30 2010 3:09 AM (5 replies)
  • overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 2:15 AM

Here's a thread for players to praise (or sledge) equipment :). People can look at the stats all they like but they don't truly know the club till they play it. Here's my reviews:

WGT Tour Pro Driver (and 3 wood cos i bought it to make par 5's interesting):

Normal price: 300, sale price: 225.

THIS is a sweet driver.  Compared to other pro tier drivers, it may be a little shabby, but for the price it's sold for... it's great value.  It's not until you switch back to your starters that you realise how much that extra 20 yards opens up the game for you, especially at Bethpage.  The 3 wood is also useful as the combination brings more 2 shot par 5's into play.  In fact, because of the slow-ish swing meter, i might even suggest the whole set with the Tour-S balls if you don't feel confident in dinging a speed 5 club but want to improve your game in the pro tier (also the lower price of this set means you waste less cash before master tier)

Rating: 9/10, it does exactly what you need, and nothing more.  20 yards at a cheap price.

Ping Tour W Pro 64 degree

Normal price: 200, Sale price: 150

This can also apply to the taylormade but i don't have it.  I'd heard a lot about this wedge.  About how it spins it back with the right balls, about how it breaks the game at short range, about how every respected golfer should have one.  But i also knew there was the meter speed issue.  At the 1st tee of St Andrews in a practice, i took it out for a test swing.  And the results showed me my money didn't go to waste.  The meter speed 5 wasn't as big a deal as anticipated, and even with the default balls, it checked up a lot and almost spun back.  This aspect holds true for greens also if you manage to get a full swing.  Whilst i can't gurantee you'll successfully scramble everything with this club, i would encourage buying the club, as the 3 dots of spin is very noticable even with starter balls, and 4 precision dots add some consistency as to where it goes.  And many high-level masters can't be wrong!

Rating: 9/10.  Not a game changing club, but for the money, certainly a worthy purchase.

Taylormade Daytona Putter

Normal price: 750, Sale price: 562

So you're having trouble putting.  This may be down to distance or line reading issues, but even when you get it just right it just doesn't go where you want it.  Enter the new putter.  The big debate is over the Daytona vs the Redwood, but i just don't see why.  So let's look at the Daytona.  There's 2 cruical areas of putting, line: The precision on this putter is great. I've rarely had a putt deviate anything off where i aimed if i've gotten close to the ding.  Next, Forgiveness: That may only be one extra dot on the starter, but it goes a long long way, and it definitely compensates for the fact you won't ding as often due to a faster meter.  The other cruical area, length: Balance is the stat you want for this, and the daytona has this too.  I don't usually have to putt from long distance, but when i do, it's good to know that i've got probably the most balanced putter in the game.  Overall, don't expect to suddenly make 20 footers EVERY time, but do expect to make them a bit more often and roll your misses closer.

Rating: 8/10.  Not game changing and a pricy club for the benefits, but if you want only the best on the greens, here's your club.

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:12 AM

Absoutely totally disagree on the Daytona Putter...This putter is a game changer for any player purchasing their first non-WGT putter.  My rating would be 10/10. I have had all the putters and this one is the best in my opinion.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 6:55 AM

Check this out OTT.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 7:00 AM

overthetop2:
    Ping Tour W Pro 64 degree

overthetop2:
    Rating: 9/10.  Not a game changing club, but for the money, certainly a worthy purchase.

I will speak for the Satin version of this and politely disagree with you, OTT. This is definitely a game changer, especially for those that find major frustration trying to get close from around the green. The shot is up, down and stick without a special ball. The "stick" becomes 1-2 yards with the free ball. 

No question at $1.50 a great investment.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Aug 28 2010 11:35 PM

overthetop2:
    Here's my reviews:

Great reviews! don't let these guys nit pick you too much!

• seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Mon, Aug 30 2010 3:09 AM

I have the Ping Tour W Pro 64 degree wedge and I would definitely recommend getting either this or an equivalent wedge. I only bought it last month as the 3rd wedge in my bag, and it has improved my scoring and my consistency.

It is good for all short game shots - short bunker shots, 30 -40 % rough shots around the green, and if you leave yourself a 60 yard shot it is pretty much going to stop where it lands.

You can also play it as a full swing shot from 30 to 60 yds out (obviously you adjust the strength of the shot for the distance).

Highly recommended.

RSS