Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 'Tough-It-Out III': The Trans-Atlantic Starter Clubs Uneven Open THIRD EDITION!

Mon, Oct 28 2013 3:55 PM (614 replies)
  • ljbast
    943 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 4:59 PM

Corwyn:
    For some reason, bad formatting has appeared in the thread, with a bullet that isn't really there appearing in the first paragraph...

Not sure Corwyn, but I did notice this last week in a different thread in the forums.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 10:42 PM

Well, it seems to have reset itself with your post as it switched to a new page... A mystery, but at least it's gone for now.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 11:46 PM

With Mac having finished her delayed 3rd Round earlier today, here is the current state of the tournament as we all head off to Merion for the final round.

Here is the Overall Leaderboard, and below it, standings for all the special prizes.

Everything can be perused at this link, or by right-clicking the images below, open in new tab & enlarge.

At the top, Corwyn leads by 7. What chance a Norman-esque collapse in the final round... ? Merion is just the sort of course where a couple of bad shots could lead to double-bogies, and where someone could shoot an inspired round and card a real low number, so anything's still possible. Or, if he can avoid a collapse, can he still finish the tourney under par, which is also possible for Neil, Cerino, and even Ben if any of them shoot a best-ever TIO round?

Things are tighter in the battle for 2nd and 3rd, with just 2 shots separating Neil from Cerino, and Cerino from Ben. So the placings prizes seem destined to go right down the 18th. And Dazza isn't entirely out of the running for a top 3, if he can carry forward his splendid form from Olympic. 

Just a couple of shots separate our next 7 players...

... and then down at the other end of the leaderboard, we have the prospect of an intriguing battle for Gary's generous 'Tough-It-Out' consolation prize, as LJ and BZ are paired together with a 6-stroke differential and the dilemma of whether to play for pride or prize! (and hyena is potentially close enough to scoop the anchor pot too!).

STANDINGS FOR SPECIAL PRIZES:

Most Greens in Regulation

Corwyn still leads in this category, despite a struggle at Olympic. But James, Inigo, and Jay are all close behind. If they hit 4 more greens than Corwyn, they can catch him!

Our special prizes (sponsored by bhoese) for GIR for Olympic, and for closest GIR (the calculated result), were intended to reflect the incredible difficulty of hitting and holding those greens. However, I was really impressed that no less than 8 players managed 50% or greater GIR at Oly, and Mac (our final finisher) was the pick of the field, achieving a GIR of 61% and scooping that prize.

In the calculated result GIR, our winner is Ian (Legaci) whose sole non-par-3 green hit at #17 at 4.4 ft made a big impact on the calculation, and secured that prize by a wide margin. Bad luck to Wessdog who was close in both categories.

(Note that any player finishing in the top 3 in the tourney is only eligible for 50% of this prize)

----------------------------------

Closest Ave. Distance to the Pin

This stat is fascinating, with none of the leaders anywhere high in the rankings. It's a good category for players who fancy a strategic challenge to aim for a prize. Provided you record a legitimate score each round (i.e. by hitting at least one non-par-3 green: see this post for clarification), you could even play to deliberately miss most greens, and be very selective about the ones you do go for the pin on (i.e. only those you're pretty sure you can get close with). This is pretty much what happened, by accident, last round with Ian (Legaci), and has given him a commanding lead in this stat. Can anyone else pull off a similar success?

This stat does not count par 3s, so it's only your shots that get on in regulation for par 4s and par 5s.

Expect some interesting tactical play come the last round, as the competition hots up for this prize! (and note that any player finishing in the top 3 in the tourney, is only eligible for 50% of this prize).

'Low-Am' prize: Lowest final score among players Master tier or below

Note that GolfingJMan and JayO92 both voluntarily took themselves out of the running for bhoese's very generous iron set prize for Low-Am... That said, Inigo may well outscore them anyway. He's a stone-cold certainty to win this one, holding a 25 shot lead over Deedles, and a 42 shot lead over BZ.

"No-3-putt" throughout all 72 holes of the tourney

And then there were two... Only Cerino, and Ben are still in the running for this prize...

... can they keep it together on Merion's greens, especially as they'll be birdie-hunting in the race for 2nd and 3rd place.

Good luck, fellas!

Most Birdies

Not surprisingly, our leader Corwyn also heads up the Most Birdies standings with 12, with Micke (hobbe95) 3 behind on 9. But Merion is that rare course where even a dozen birdies are theoretically possible on a lucky day, so anything can happen.

Please note, anyone finishing in the top 3 in the tourney is not eligible for this prize at all, so the question is who can catch Micke?

Interestingly, as I looked at our tie-breaker (most # of eagles) I discovered that we haven't had a single one yet in the tourney. Surely that must change at Merion where hole-out approaches seem more likely than at any other course.

Least Bogies or Worse

Cerino and myself heading the list here, but Dazza, Jay, Neil and Ben doing very nicely too. Lots to play for here as well with the top 3 ineligible.

Interestingly, our tie-breaker here: least # of double-bogies or worse, shows that only 3 players, Corwyn, unclenewy, and hobbe95 have avoided a double-bogey so far.

Lowest 4 round final score with an overall GIR of 50% or less

This is a tricky prize... Arguably Merion is the easiest GIR course of our set, and so this standing could change considerably by tourney-end.  The numbered players in the spreadsheet above are those whose GIR is at 50% or lower, with Cerino leading the pack, but since Russ' new Wedge prize is also restricted to those outside the top 3, both he (and perhaps Ben too, just 2 shots back) may be out of the running.

Hobbe95 may be the best placed with a GIR of 39% and sitting at +13 for the tourney. Could lead to some strategic play on his part down the final stretch... 

Longest total distance of putts made across whole tourney

Well, Corwyn leap-frogged Russ thanks to a couple of long putts at Olympic, and is in danger of winning his own prize here... and even still has an outside shot at Woodoworkery's all-time TIO record of 441.67ft. 

However, there's only 22 ft in it between Corwyn and Russ, so this prize is wide open!

We seem to have a tie for Inigo's special prize for CTTH on #13, with both Dazza501 and jlucky3333 achieving an 18ft result. (only James made his birdie, though!)...

... although Mati (12ft) and hobbe (13ft) both got closer, but without any proof.

Hopefully, there are still possible prizes for most players to be chasing if they so choose, and even if not, still more fun to be had in the final round of TIO3.

Many thanks to all our generous prize sponsors, and to all the players for supplying your fascinating stats from each round. Good luck at Merion!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 5:38 AM

Stunning bit of statistical analysis by Corwyn here. The only times I even look at post round stats is for our Tourneys otherwise I never bother. Seeing the numbers represented in a manner that "means something" is fantastic. I always tell myself I play for the final result instead of any of the specific prizes keeps my head clear while playing but knowing I'm in the running for the 'No 3 Putt" thing again this time will be in my head as I play Merion.

GL to everyone on Merion. Leading up to the Tourney I had in mind that the Olympic round would be the crusher for most of the field and the final round would serve as a reward for Toughing It Out and getting to the finish line. There's Birdies all over Merion depending on the wind set and how well we judge the lies and distance. The Fast Green Speed will accept approaches hit close and keep the putting  from being a mind bending exercise with the starter gear.

~CD~

• deedles77
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 6:19 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    GL to everyone on Merion.

Going into Merion knowing that my avg dist to the pin is 21ft you can rest assure that i will be gunning for the pin, thats a gimme, as for the rest of the stats were i sit, after doing this for the very first time, i couldn't be more happy with the result. Merion is tough but if you play it safely you can rustle out a decent score. gl e1 and may the golf gods be with us all   :)

• Kurtsbuford
    7,592 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 7:43 AM

Fabulous Statistical account Corwyn, very fun to look at...............Im so not impressed with my position on the leaderboard,  but after viewing my own stats up to round 4 it didnt take long to realize im not as good as i thought i was.      LOL!

Im going to try a practice round at Merion..........as punishment.   Its been a blast playing this tourney, as was the first one you set up last year,  thanks Corwyn, and CD!

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 8:24 AM

Excellent job Corwin, I don't know how you find the time.

Although I'm not in the running for most of the stats prizes because I didn't record my 1st round front 9, I recall there's a prize for best GIR on Olympic alone.

I dunno if I have the criteria correct, as I'm not the best for trawling through stats, but you have my GIR at Olympic at 50% but it was actually 67%.

I dunno if my distance to pin affects this (like I said, it's all confusing to me) but I have to treat premium balls like gold dust as I'm on a budget on here (i.e. free).

Thanks 

Neil

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 10:02 AM

Thanks Neil, I did make a mistake (comes of working late at night, I guess!)... but a smaller one. 

Your 67% GIR was just your back 9 total. 6 greens out of 9 to make 67%. (details in your posts here and here).

Your front 9 total (details here) was 44%: 4 greens out of 9.

So, overall, you hit 10 out of 18 greens, for a total that should have read 56% (not 50%, sorry). I've amended the Leaderboard spreadsheets (note that the precise info regarding which greens were par 3s affects the Ave. Distance to the Pin results only, and notes pertaining to those are logged on the side of the Ave. Dist. tab).

But Mac is still the winner of the pure GIR prize at Olympic with her 61% (from hitting just one more green!).

----------------

Folks, as you can see, it's perfectly possible I've made mistakes, so please do check to see if your info looks right.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Oct 8 2013 10:14 AM

Corwyn:
    We seem to have a tie for Inigo's special prize for CTTH on #13, with both Dazza501 and jlucky3333 achieving an 18ft result. (only James made his birdie, though!)...

... although Mati (12ft) and hobbe (13ft) both got closer, but without any proof.

Dazza and James

Inigo's prize was for a sleeve of Callys, but we notice that you both use lvl 81 Nikes instead. Can you use the Callys, or should we convert into something else (e.g. some putterpal or shotpal)?

Please let us know what you'd like to do.

RSS