Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Theory of the DING

Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:13 PM (29 replies)
  • BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:11 AM

Very informative replies... I was just about to change my thought process until Lee replied...phew... I currently don't play that much anymore but when the top players speak it pays to listen...

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 12:06 PM

Adding to the comments, I tend to see the ding % fluctuate based on my rhythm for the round/day.  When it's on, 65-80% dings are real.  When it's off, every ding is precious :)

I'm the odd duck (no offense blue :) in that I don't ever intentionally miss the ding off the tee or fairway (or rough), playing the wind and adding spin as needed, however I always (except for straight putts) intentionally miss the putting meter to the left or right for the break.  On severe breaks, aiming combined with the severe mishit is called for.  As Ncviz mentioned in another thread, you have to be aware of distance implications here, but 30,000 putts later, you begin to get a feel for it :).

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 2:12 PM

I ding about 35% of my shots... typically between as 25% and 45%.  I'd guess my lowest round ever is 5% ding and highest ever is 80%, but it's usually around 35%.  I also tend to click my putts early and my irons & drives late due to the speed difference.

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 7:26 PM

DINGER? WHAT DINGER?

JK!!! Maybe 50% for me overall. I go for the ding on every shot but some days are better than others.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Aug 8 2010 8:29 PM
    Most of the time, I ding the driver except for extreme wind condition and the same is true with irons. It seems to me that with experience and wind knowledge that the white line is the place to be. With putting, however, I have always hit either early or late unless the putt is dead straight...but my putting has never been above average. With shots aside from putting, I should imagine my ding average is around 60%. I just play way too fast and don't care what I shoot. I post it all...always have, always will. But from tees and fairways...the white line is the bomb.
  • KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 8:10 AM

BolloxInBruges:

Doublemochaman:

Jake... by "choke down" do you mean using extra club and pulling up short of using the full meter travel?

Bollux, and others... thank you for your input.  Bollux, when you miss the ding I understand it is intentional (in most cases)... are you intentionally missing it left or right by choice?  Or just missing it?

Most of my misses are not intentional.  But perhaps a couple times I will do it, especially in higher winds. 

2 BP for example...I almost always click a MILE early,  in the dark blue area on the meter.  This puts me in the fairway 98% of the time.  I see ppl struggle all the time whacking trees or launching it over the fairway. 

4 st andrews.  Give me a 25 mph R to L wind and I will mishit it WELL late.  This makes the ball fly virtually dead straight.    Same concept on 14 oakmont, narrow fairway w/ a strong sidewind,  I will mishit it into the wind to hold the line.   

Or take the approach shot on 4 st andrews to the back pin.   If there is the same 25 @   9  sidewind.  I will make damn sure I am not clicking early.  If this means I will ding a lower % in favor of more slightly late mishits,  that's ideal.

Bullox could you explain how you hit your tee shot on 2 at BP?  I don't think I exactly understand what you mean.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 8:21 AM

He "pulls" the ball around the tree line by missing the ding early.  More here

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 9:22 AM

YankeeJim:

He "pulls" the ball around the tree line by missing the ding early.  More here

Ah thank you Jim

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 11:23 AM

pricehcs:
    but 30,000 putts later, you begin to get a feel for it :).

that  might just be depressing for the new players       lmao

• Sargenjd01
    366 Posts
    Mon, Aug 9 2010 5:13 PM

I think I understand what Bollox and AvatarLee mean. Often in a high crosswind I will use the meter to cause a draw. Here is on I did on #2 SA and brought it into the hole. I took the meter to the line about half-way to the right of the ding line and brought it right into the hole

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=349c4ae5-bbb8-4c25-ba51-9dce00026e18

RSS