Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Driver Ball Spin

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 30 2010 8:51 PM (2 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 6:26 PM

Back in the time when the starter ball was the only ball available, with driver in hand, the maxim was to apply top-spin against the wind, and apply back-spin with a tail wind. The newer balls, with more spin available, seem to provide a reverse to the old maxim. I haven't experimented much with the notion yet, but wonder if extra spin balls go farther with the combination of top-spin and tail wind.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 7:19 PM

SweetiePie:

Back in the time when the starter ball was the only ball available, with driver in hand, the maxim was to apply top-spin against the wind, and apply back-spin with a tail wind. The newer balls, with more spin available, seem to provide a reverse to the old maxim. I haven't experimented much with the notion yet, but wonder if extra spin balls go farther with the combination of top-spin and tail wind.

I have noticed that I get good carry and a long roll if I put more topspin with a tailwind.

Hitting into the wind I always use full backspin to get a lower trajectory and better roll.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 8:51 PM

AlaCowboy:

SweetiePie:

I have noticed that I get good carry and a long roll if I put more topspin with a tailwind.

Hitting into the wind I always use full backspin to get a lower trajectory and better roll.

Yes, I agree. It is opposite from the old mind set. Hope we get more post on this.

RSS