Help › Forums

Re: Redwood feedback.

Fri, Jul 30 2010 4:45 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 9:47 AM

YankeeJim:

This is directed specifically at those players that use Nivlac's putting method, the avatar moves, with the Redwood. I don't mean to preclude those that don't but my question is concerning the distance values for the moves on each scale for this particular putter.

When the Opens came out and the Tournament speeds were introduced the resulting change in the values was easy enough to figure out. Now that we're back to Very Fast greens the values I used before the Opens is no longer accurate. Something changed and that is what I am soliciting here. How did your values change, if they did at all?

There is no question these values have changed. I have been using 8 8 12 16 20 35 religiously for a very long time. Now I'm coming up short very consistently using them. It isn't causing a great big problem, just a little re-learning. The Tournament speeds, oddly enough, enhanced my own ability to read putts from the front view based on instincts. (I think OaktheToke used to do it this way with good success.) That's an aiming function anyway but the values still need to be accurate for the strength of swing.

Has anybody encountered this and what do you use if you did?

TY

Jim...Just an FYI...I am one who does not use the avatar movements method for any shot, including putts; I use the percentage of the meter method...I have not experienced any difference...Harve

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 10:53 AM

hbthree:
    There is no question these values have changed. I have been using 8 8 12 16 20 35 religiously for a very long time. Now I'm coming up short very consistently using them. It isn't causing a great big problem, just a little re-learning.

Ever since you told me the distances Jim, i've been using them.  I find the two 8's are wrong and there more like 6's, but besides that i've never experienced your problem.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 11:01 AM

KingOfTheCourse:
    Ever since you told me the distances Jim, i've been using them.  I find the two 8's are wrong and there more like 6's, but besides that i've never experienced your problem.

LOL-That is the problem which really isn't a problem. The change turned the 8's into 6's and the other scales have dropped slightly too.

I could see why Harve and DF don't see it because their methods have built in subjectivity. Harve's in the form of his method (just the width of the line alone is hard to gauge when stopping in mid back swing) and DF by virtue of the very forgiving and less accurate Spider. The avatar move method is a little more empirical as there is a distinct spot you can reach every time in the back swing, ensuring an accurate starting point for the swing. That's the only reason I noticed the change in the first place. 

@Ziggy-That is what got my attention in the first place and this thread confirms that is wasn't our imagination.  :-)

• iukine
    195 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:04 PM

I use a different method for putting than the rest of you, but I did notice that the breaks have been different (less) and been having more putts come short. I've been using the Daytona and just switched back to the Redwood and thought it might be attributed to that. But with you guys having the same issues........ maybe WGT did change something, who knows?! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:15 PM

YankeeJim:

KingOfTheCourse:

LOL-That is the problem which really isn't a problem. The change turned the 8's into 6's and the other scales have dropped slightly too.

I could see why Harve and DF don't see it because their methods have built in subjectivity. Harve's in the form of his method (just the width of the line alone is hard to gauge when stopping in mid back swing) and DF by virtue of the very forgiving and less accurate Spider. The avatar move method is a little more empirical as there is a distinct spot you can reach every time in the back swing, ensuring an accurate starting point for the swing. That's the only reason I noticed the change in the first place. 

@Ziggy-That is what got my attention in the first place and this thread confirms that is wasn't our imagination.  :-)

What i'm saying Jim is change the 8's to 6's in your mind and you might be a better putter than me some day:-) (kidding).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 4:45 AM

KingOfTheCourse:
    What i'm saying Jim is change the 8's to 6's in your mind and you might be a better putter than me some day:-) (kidding).

Actually, 6  7  11  14  and 18 are working pretty good!   :-)

• PAGES
RSS