Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Merion walk through

Fri, Jun 10 2016 8:37 PM (27 replies)
  • VegasWade
    486 Posts
    Mon, May 16 2016 10:20 PM

@Alanti, I'm mostly just bitter about having to wait 47 levels for a set of irons with a 4.5 swing meter (yes, only two sets in the entire game). I can't hit a 3.0 or 3.5 meter; tried, miserable results, so went back to the level 47 Max and sacrificed 20 yards. Yes, it's a cop out, I admit it. At my daily rate of XP play, I'll make level 94 (when the other Max iron set is available) probably this time next year. I may try the 4.0 swing meter Ping's, haven't decided. But, I'm in a good mood today; made level 91 and promptly bought the Max driver; it, too, has a 4.5 swing meter. Feels sweet so far.

By the way, I used to walk 5 miles in the snow just to catch the bus to school, too ;)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2016 1:20 PM

VegasWade:
    I'm mostly just bitter about having to wait 47 levels

Ok this post make more sense.....but

I used to go for slower meter clubs like the G20's (G25's now) and always dreaded faster meter clubs. But a lot of that was in my mind, thinking I could not handle the faster meter.

When I upgraded to the R11 iron (lvl 90), the first few rounds were not good, but I did get used to them.

Yes from time to time I have reverted to using a Max Pro(?) ball to counter the meter speed (interestingly mostly the same stats as the ball you use, but slow the meter even more).

Yes they do cost more both in price and durability but could be your solution.

You say from your blog you got rid of the Nike clubs on the first hole (I am sure this is an exaggeration) but the point is with any new clubs, you need to persist. I have known players in their 80's who claim to have poor coordination, yet cope and score pretty well with a standard Cally ball.

A tip for anyone struggling with the meter speed, change to a starters ball, play 9 holes then revert back to your normal ball. I bet the meter will appear much much slower!

Basically I disagree with level based equipment, but it will not change. I am against better equipment and slower meters as the game will become too easy...well for many already has.

But many of the older players only had clubs like the G10's not so long ago...yet still managed to play well with them. I think the meter speed is physiological for you...and is the barrier you have created.

In a perfect world I would suggest the faster the meter, the belter the attributes.....but this is not a perfect world........

• VegasWade
    486 Posts
    Wed, May 18 2016 11:54 PM

alanti:

I think the meter speed is physiological for you...and is the barrier you have created.

Probably right. Thanks for taking the time to post this .. I've gone back to a 3.5 swing meter with G25 Pings and giving it another whirl. And thank you John for the Merion walk through.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Fri, May 20 2016 4:57 PM

Excellent thread, It's like Merion stay on the short grass.

• Young46
    1,292 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2016 9:58 PM

Here's a talk through I did on Merion. 

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 1:25 PM

Young46:

Here's a talk through I did on Merion. 

Solid vid, nice channel. 

Thanks

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 3:07 PM

Young46, a most excellent instructional vid and congrats on a superb round.  You provided us a great example of course management, and your easy-going, relaxed narrative added to the enjoyment.

Well done!

• Young46
    1,292 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2016 8:37 PM

mkg335:

Young46, a most excellent instructional vid and congrats on a superb round.  You provided us a great example of course management, and your easy-going, relaxed narrative added to the enjoyment.

Well done!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. 

RSS