Sun, Mar 6 2016 8:40 AM

Thank you...hate this course...can't wait to play with your work

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sun, Mar 6 2016 10:59 AM

Good work John

One thing i will ask folk if i may.

17th when flag is right side

Is there an issue with camera angle, what i mean is i can have no right to left wind, aim at flag (ish), and if i miss ding by a fraction, i go way left. I know its gonna go left but sometimes its way way left....Have others found this?

Bubbs

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Mar 6 2016 11:25 AM

bubbsboy:
    aim at flag (ish), and if i miss ding by a fraction, i go way left.

Using the BB3W? If so, this club has a mind of its own!

I have noticed the wind effect on this hole is much greater than one would expect (regardless of the direction) so I always allow for this.....with mixed results lol.

John was a good guy, and I miss the dude. He was never shy of voicing his opinion......that is probably why.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sun, Mar 6 2016 11:57 AM

Cheers mate reg BB, it sure has mind of its own and im not too fond of it to be honest.

Especially on that hole and a few others i can mention (par 3s). Can get away with it normally but not on that hole. Prey for a bit of tail wind and i stretch my 3 iron out on it if i can.

Same with a couple Par 3s at Beth and Kiawah, 3 iron for me if poss ;-)

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, May 13 2016 7:37 PM

Merion one of few courses where you have to think to hit fairways. 

• VegasWade
    486 Posts
    Fri, May 13 2016 8:47 PM

... and then you make legend and find you're out of range on several of those easy 100-50-yard wedge approach shots; because if you're like many of us, you'll make legend in the late 80s or early 90s and find you really need the gear that's available at levels 95-103. So enjoy several levels of golfing hell until you get the gear and grind out several levels that seem never ending. At level 90 legend, I would kill for a 289-yard driver right now. I'm pretty sure legend is the worst for actually enjoying this game. Stay a tour master; it's more fun.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, May 15 2016 1:31 AM

VegasWade:
    you'll make legend in the late 80s or early 90s and find you really need the gear that's available at levels 95-103.

Utter BS.......there is much more choice now  below level 90 that is more than adequate to cope at legend and saying otherwise is a cop out.

At legend the game became enjoyable for me, as it was a challenge. The ones who cannot adapt are the ones who either played baby tees to get there (never was an option previously) or simply have not learned the game.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, May 15 2016 2:04 AM

I agree Alan, absolute nonsense.  When I made legend I played with a set of G10 gear, well short of what's available these days at that sort of level.  The game became a much bigger challenge but after a while I got used to the longer holes and my scores came back down.

To advise someone to stay in a lower tier because it's too difficult at the next one is pathetic.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, May 15 2016 8:58 AM

Amen to that. And I might mention that there are even holes that are easier as a Legend...the ones that can get you in big trouble with a big drive from the "easier" tees. For us, we see the trouble ahead, but blast away knowing we're not going to reach it.

MainzMan:

I agree Alan, absolute nonsense.  When I made legend I played with a set of G10 gear, well short of what's available these days at that sort of level.  The game became a much bigger challenge but after a while I got used to the longer holes and my scores came back down.

To advise someone to stay in a lower tier because it's too difficult at the next one is pathetic.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, May 15 2016 10:03 AM

K7JBQ:

I might mention that there are even holes that are easier as a Legend.

Very true, BPB #15 being an obvious example.  There's also a hole at RSG that's a dogleg from the TM tees but straight from the legend tee making it a lot easier.

I just cannot understand why someone would advise stagnation when there are new challenges to be found.

RSS