Forums

Help › Forums

Re: judging distance.

Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:33 AM (47 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2011 7:49 AM

Wow you guys sure got more time to get into this than I do!  How long did it take you to do all those computations? :-)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2011 9:03 AM

TracyMax:
    Wow you guys sure got more time to get into this than I do!  How long did it take you to do all those computations? :-)

If you could pry Charlemagne away from WGT he'd probably be running the world. He's way more serious about this than I am, that's for sure.

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2011 9:44 AM

Just been having a read at this thread and feel that the game has become  more suited to expert pc gamers and mathematicians, rather than golfers.

The only "aid" i use is the avatar movement for putting, though no doubt i could shoot lower scores by using tape measures, extensive notes etc.

Reading other threads, there are calls for driving ranges and practice putting greens, if that happens every course will become a par 54 for some.

For me, i think there is already far too much information and players should have to work it out for themselves, like real life.

What makes this game stand out from others is the real life pictures, we can see approx. distances and elevations with our own eyes.

So do we really need to have green elevation numbers?

Do we really need distance to green?

Do we really need wind numbers?

Do we really need exact putt length and elevation?

Maybe it has changed nowadays with gps etc. i don't know, but when i played, i worked this out for myself.

To me, the game would be a lot better by being more simplistic.

e.g.

You are told the hole distance and there is a fluttering  flag to assist you in wind direction, a little bit of flutter, a little bit of wind, more flutter, more wind, you have to approximate and gauge the strength of it and therefore how much your ball will be affected.

Ok, so you have hit your tee shot but there is now no, e.g. "148 yd to pin" info.

What you have is landmarks with yardage markers i.e. bunker 240 yds from tee, large tree 220 yds on left etc etc. and guage where you are in relation to these.

Ok, so we are now on the green, but we don't see "12ft, 3 in down",  we see the hole, we see the grid change colour to approximate the slope, and that's it.

I know this will never happen, but to me it would make the game so much more lifelike and enjoyable.

In real life, would anyone honestly think that a beginner could go round SA or Ki in the 50's? BPB and Oakmont in low 60's?

Just a view from a traditionalist.

Thanks

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2011 11:49 AM

Nicole161106:

As far as real life goes, I'm with you 100%. Give me the crack of an old persimmon wood! I walk the course and carry a half-set of irons, even or odd depending on the mood.

Maybe that feeling could be duplicated on WGT by playing starter clubs from the championship tees.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Jan 18 2011 1:43 PM

thank you for your entry, well said.  i would like to add one thought.  i think wgt could do it both ways and be commercially effective. (make money)  let the player choose which way to go.  my 2 cents.

Nicole161106:

Just been having a read at this thread and feel that the game has become  more suited to expert pc gamers and mathematicians, rather than golfers.

The only "aid" i use is the avatar movement for putting, though no doubt i could shoot lower scores by using tape measures, extensive notes etc.

Reading other threads, there are calls for driving ranges and practice putting greens, if that happens every course will become a par 54 for some.

For me, i think there is already far too much information and players should have to work it out for themselves, like real life.

What makes this game stand out from others is the real life pictures, we can see approx. distances and elevations with our own eyes.

So do we really need to have green elevation numbers?

Do we really need distance to green?

Do we really need wind numbers?

Do we really need exact putt length and elevation?

Maybe it has changed nowadays with gps etc. i don't know, but when i played, i worked this out for myself.

To me, the game would be a lot better by being more simplistic.

e.g.

You are told the hole distance and there is a fluttering  flag to assist you in wind direction, a little bit of flutter, a little bit of wind, more flutter, more wind, you have to approximate and gauge the strength of it and therefore how much your ball will be affected.

Ok, so you have hit your tee shot but there is now no, e.g. "148 yd to pin" info.

What you have is landmarks with yardage markers i.e. bunker 240 yds from tee, large tree 220 yds on left etc etc. and guage where you are in relation to these.

Ok, so we are now on the green, but we don't see "12ft, 3 in down",  we see the hole, we see the grid change colour to approximate the slope, and that's it.

I know this will never happen, but to me it would make the game so much more lifelike and enjoyable.

In real life, would anyone honestly think that a beginner could go round SA or Ki in the 50's? BPB and Oakmont in low 60's?

Thanks

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 6:58 AM

Infinito3010:

Each club behaves differently. 

This whole discussion is getting way over my head-----I'd just like those that run this to make the club distances realistic and have the starter clubs reach their stated distance . All this talk about elevation, wind, greens,etc is true but does not change the fact that those creating this program make the starter clubs hit short so you feel you have to "buy" better clubs to compete. That stinks!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:36 AM

TracyMax:
    All this talk about elevation, wind, greens,etc is true but does not change the fact that those creating this program make the starter clubs hit short

Heh-All that talk is what keeps the irons from getting their respective distances.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:33 AM

YankeeJim:

[Heh-All that talk is what keeps the irons from getting their respective distances.

true----but the whole starter clubs issue really "torques" me I guess.  :-)

RSS