Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Low Blow

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 29 2010 7:16 PM (9 replies)
  • Kaslo
    428 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 12:44 PM

My ball hits a sprinkler head and bounces out of bounds. Check out the replay. Come on WGT you owe me a ball. Since when did sprinklers come into play???????

lol

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 1:03 PM

If it was Kiawah #3 then I had the same thing Sunday. Drove it straight out into the middle of the fairway, landed on the down slope and shot off like a rocket. I'm thinking rough won't be a big deal, then I'm back on the tee box minus a ball!

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 1:08 PM

You've always been able to hit the yardage markers in the fairway.  Way, way back in the day when we had the Pre-Beta clubset (225y) and Kiawah Front 9 only I believe the longest drive at the time was around 285 or so because a few players hit the yardage marker on the first hole and it rocketed forward.

That is normal, albeit a bit unfortunate. =(

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:00 PM

I have had 3 situations in real golf that have had an outcome to the hole.  The first was hitting a sprinkler head on an approach shot.  Unfortunately the ball took a massive hop, over the fence and into somebodys yard.  Ball OB and lost ball.

The second was a smoked drive on a par 5 with a split fairway, from the tee we could see this massive bounce.  So when I approached the ending of the fairway and still not seeing my ball it become obvious, my drive some 380yds from tee box bounced off a sprinkler head and rolled through the fairway, through the rough and ended at the wrong end of a bunker up against the lip.  No lost ball, but a dissapointing par instead of birdie or better.

The 3rd, I tagged a drive with just a little too much draw, ala Tin Cup, the ball bounce off the curving cart path and rolled down the path and trickled into the rough.  The 545yd par 5 was turned into a short par 4, leaving me with 70yd approach.

Take the good with the bad I guess is the point. 

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 2:09 PM

Very true Niv, that would be a lay up now :) I've lost more balls on my own than anyone could lose for me. Except maybe Lou :)

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 4:57 PM

Funny you should mention it Blue ... I was playing Kiawah #17 and a duck flew over the water when i hit my shot.  The ball went right up his AXX  and he flew away with it.       Someone owes me a blue ball.   Sort of reminded me of that Crystal Gayle song ... "Don't it make my blue balls brown" ... or something like that ...  Dam Ducks.  

(Ok so maybe it's "don't it make my brown eyes blue" ... i took poetic license ... no disrespect intended to Miss Gayle).

• DightonBlue
    42 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:27 PM

If we're talking odd bounces - - -

On BpB #6 I was 148 out and hitting a starter 6-iron for my approach.  The ball flies long and true and hits the flagstick and/or cup, as indicated by the sound of the ball falling into the cup.  Far from being a wonderful eagle, and in complete defiance of the laws of physics, the ball shoots across the green, hits the berm and flies like some out of control rocket ship into the trees for a total distance of 383 yards  -  with a 6-iron.

Hard to believe?  Just check out my replay.  I'm not complaining (it actually gave me a few moments of wonderment and caused me to shake my head - the most exercise I'd had for a couple of hours after sitting down to this addictive game), I'm just sayin' - - -

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 6:44 PM

claremoreblue:

Very true Niv, that would be a lay up now :) I've lost more balls on my own than anyone could lose for me. Except maybe Lou :)

Have no fear fellas, you guys can play with my balls any time you want.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 7:10 PM

DightonBlue:

If we're talking odd bounces - - -

On BpB #6 I was 148 out and hitting a starter 6-iron for my approach.  The ball flies long and true and hits the flagstick and/or cup, as indicated by the sound of the ball falling into the cup.  Far from being a wonderful eagle, and in complete defiance of the laws of physics, the ball shoots across the green, hits the berm and flies like some out of control rocket ship into the trees for a total distance of 383 yards  -  with a 6-iron.

Hard to believe?  Just check out my replay.  I'm not complaining (it actually gave me a few moments of wonderment and caused me to shake my head - the most exercise I'd had for a couple of hours after sitting down to this addictive game), I'm just sayin' - - -

Oh my, that may rival BB's on #11

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Tue, Jun 29 2010 7:16 PM

Here's a new one, #2 at Kia, Yanked my drive a tad so I'm thinking mulch time. So what pops up on my monitor in bold letters..IN THE WEEDS..   Next thing you know I'm back on the tee with a 1 stroke penalty and a brand new ball.   The Gold GI-SD was clearly visible to me and barely in the weeds  that were no taller  than  80-90%  thistle on BPB.   I can deal with the 1 stroke penalty. But to put me  back on the tee and take my 42.5 cent ball seems overly excessive.

RSS