Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Pebble Beeeach

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:16 PM (9 replies)
  • wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 4:23 PM

For gawds sake   do NOT bring pebble  here,    Phil at 74 rd 1 Tiger with only 7 pars 1 bogey first nine!     dont want that!

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 4:30 PM

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports/ci_15299593?nclick_check=1

It's really just a tale of two different events on the same course.  The article above really explains how the course plays differently depending on the setup.  And of course, the USGA has it set up for maximum difficulty for the Open.  I've watched many top pros miss the hole entirely on a simple 5-foot putt today.

Typically when the players visit Pebble in February for the National Pro Am the greens are rolling much slower (9 or 10 on the stimp) and the fairways are 40 yards wide on the average.  During the open the greens are much faster (I've heard high 12's, low 13's) and the fairways are only 27 yards wide on the average.  The course is also much firmer in the summer and plays an extra 200+ yards longer.

When the USGA comes to town, things get difficult.  That's the way Championship golf should be played. =)

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 4:39 PM

Thx  for the info,     never know  how they are for the members  soo was  just awtching the pros get their butts kicked and thought,   omg  that is the next  oakmont.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 5:49 PM

WGTniv:
    When the USGA comes to town, things get difficult.  That's the way Championship golf should be played.

Precisely.

Now everyone knows these Opens aren't no joke, and neither is the USGA.

Play well.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2010 11:13 PM

Don't worry, my mind is frozen in the thought that WGT will only have four Stroke Play courses for eternity.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 3:53 AM

Admins,

If only for the sake of adding more courses to this game, will you consider adding Pebble Beach to the game?

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:15 AM

WGTniv:

http://www.montereyherald.com/sports/ci_15299593?nclick_check=1

It's really just a tale of two different events on the same course.  The article above really explains how the course plays differently depending on the setup.  And of course, the USGA has it set up for maximum difficulty for the Open.  I've watched many top pros miss the hole entirely on a simple 5-foot putt today.

Typically when the players visit Pebble in February for the National Pro Am the greens are rolling much slower (9 or 10 on the stimp) and the fairways are 40 yards wide on the average.  During the open the greens are much faster (I've heard high 12's, low 13's) and the fairways are only 27 yards wide on the average.  The course is also much firmer in the summer and plays an extra 200+ yards longer.

When the USGA comes to town, things get difficult.  That's the way Championship golf should be played. =)

Actually, the way Championship golf "should be played" is that if you hit a bad shot or make a mistake, then it should cost you a stroke or 2 to get through the hole. But even Open golf shouldn't allow the ball to roll off the green if you tap a 15 ft putt at 1 ft speed downhill/sidehill. Watching the recent U. S. Open, even good shots at times penalized the golfer.

But the engineers have taken over the game and club and ball design are more important than skill on the pro tour. Thus the USGA has to bastardize the courses to keep Open scores close to par. Changing the grooves back on the irons is the first step in reclaiming the game back from engineering to golfing.

Next the shafts need to be restrained to bring the drives and long irons back to reasonable distances. Then the game will resemble the true game of golf. 300 yard par 3s? 

This is all just my opinion, but watching golf is no longer interesting to me.

• aldoregozani
    12 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 11:26 AM

i mean it is actually already added. you can play closest to the hole on the USGA's US-open website, in case you haven't noticed.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 5:44 PM

aldoregozani:

i mean it is actually already added. you can play closest to the hole on the USGA's US-open website, in case you haven't noticed.

But i want STROKE PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111 exaggerated exclamation points ftw!!!111

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:16 PM

I think  this post took a wrong turn somewhere    in the OP  it was   plz  DONT  bring it here.   The  forum would be full of        hole 14 is rediculas                 posts.   And  omg  the lost ball crying would wake the dead!

RSS