Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The 2010 Virtual U.S. Open at Oakmont

Sat, May 29 2010 11:11 AM (8 replies)
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, May 28 2010 5:37 PM

Did everyone read the WGT news today? I wonder how those members will fair in the tournament who doesn't have a super i15 driver, will they even stand a chance? Those tee-boxes are way back there. Looks like a 3 wood, Hybrid, or a 3 iron will be the approach club of choice.

Any thoughts before the Open starts in three days?

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, May 28 2010 5:53 PM

This club was brought in with the update two days ago. It is an incredible club. No harder to hit than the old R9 and much more precise.

Most of the big boys (and girls) already have it in the bag.

I bet the majority will have the new R9, the I15 3W, G10 irons.

On a side note....I don't seem to be mishitting the R9 or I15 3W so I am looking really hard at those I15 irons.......hmmmm

Sixkiller already know I'm a junky....lol

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Fri, May 28 2010 7:30 PM

Love the i15 irons. Hope you get 'em. GL in the Open tourney!

Clarence

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 4:50 AM

Even more interesting to me is ... what are the rules going to be for the 2 Opens going to be?   If everyone is hitting with their own clubs from the new back tees ... it will turn into a "Masters Only" tournament since they will be the only ones able to reach the greens in reg with the master tier drivers.   I'm guessing a lot of "life time pros" will start shooting low as fast as they can in order to make master and get the big boy clubs.

Curious on what others think.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 5:31 AM

That's my point exactly lvietri.

• raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 6:26 AM

Oakmont looks great. It should be interesting to see how yardage goes up against the top of the line clubs. I would imagine the hybrid would go back into the bag for most players. I know mine is.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 10:56 AM

Oakmont from the Championship tees plays to about 7250 yards, only 81 yards longer than BPB from the blue Masters tees.  I for one am not going to panic and run out and buy a driver with a meter speed I can't handle.  (Hell, I played 3 rounds with my R9 and GI3-D balls and they didn't help me find the fairways.) 

If there is anything to learn from playing BPB and apply to Oakmont  it is this IMO. 

It will be important to be in the fairway.

You will need to hit your long irons or hybrids well. (I think the CTTH @ Oak demonstrates that.)

There will be several holes where we will be happy to make par. (one being #8 a 299yd par 3)

You need to be a great putter. (at least for one or two rounds)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 11:08 AM

I agree Andy. Good points.

This is my first open Championship and am hoping to make the cut. That will suit me just fine.

Does anyone know the format of the tournament? I assume it's a four round tournament, but does it start on Monday or Thursday?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 11:11 AM

lvietri:
    I'm guessing a lot of "life time pros" will start shooting low as fast as they can in order to make master and get the big boy clubs.

Oh yeah-poetic justice.............

@andy-very true. Think of BPB15.

RSS