Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Rough patch in front of the 13th greem St Andrews

rated by 0 users
Thu, May 27 2010 8:38 PM (3 replies)
  • SteveP29
    34 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 7:35 AM

Why does it take 2 shots to get out of this bowl?

All manner of different types of shot have been used and EVERY time without exception, I end up taking at least 2 shots to get out of it.

I agree that, being rough, extra power has to be added, but how much?

Howe much extra power will equate to the length of the shot you need to play? will for example a 12 yard shot, played full power with a 16 yard shot result in you running past the hole and running on and on and on and on?

After all, in real life, just because you are capable of hitting a PW 100 yards, it doersn't mean to say that 100 yards is how long you'll hit every shot, depending on slope towards or away from you where the ball lands, it will either be shorter or longer.

How do you equate for this? now that I've got a bit of a handle on putting, this type of shot is now the one that pisses me off the most.

I write this post in anger, as coming into the 11th, I was 3 under, on a good round, played a great tee shot to the par 3, ended on the fringe, then it took me another 5 shots to hole it (I submitted bug logs for 2 consecutive shots that just would not happen in real life)

Then I get to the 13th and end up with a 7, round bollocksed :(

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 7:52 AM

i always add 5 yards to my approach shot from the fairway on this hole as the hollow  is the place to avoid. 50/60% lie in fescue is normally the result if it does swallow your ball.

i had the same shot you did the other day 12 yards i hit my 64degree wedge (50 yards) at half power 25 yards full backspin and my ball finished a yard away from the hole. all you have to do is work what works for you and remember it.

good luck

• faithful2thecall
    27 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 8:17 PM

If I remember correctly, I've flopped out of that rough in one attempt successfully multiple times.  In part it may depend on your location within the rough; I tend to end up on the green side of it.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, May 27 2010 8:38 PM

A punch shot with a lofted wedge and about 50% power or less is a good play. The flop works too. Flop shots can be tricky though.

GL

RSS