Help › Forums

Re: Playing the wind...ugh

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 15 2015 9:56 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 3:34 PM

Try this:  When you have a 20-30mph right to left, aim about 20 yards to the right of desired landing area then, double that (so you are aiming about a fairways' width to the right), then hit the ball when the meter hits the first line to the left of the sweet spot (ding), then watch your ball travel from Ireland back to Scotland (at St. Andy's) with extra yardage even.  A bit risky maybe, but try "riding the wind" instead of fighting it.   Oh, btw, I only use this on those super wide fairways and if I need full yardage off the tee.   Bananas in the sky, baby!  LOL.

• Jinpan
    198 Posts
    Thu, Sep 9 2010 5:43 AM

i have found that crosswinds effect the ball more with shorter iron then long ones, i.e. i need to compensate more with a wedge then a 4 iron. Comparably i have noticed that playing into a headwind i do not need to "up" my yardage as much with shorter irons where as a long shot of 175yds i may hit a 190yard and still be short. a wedge shot of 100yds into a 16mph wind may only need to be struck 105-110 yds.

• charkys
    4 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2015 11:00 AM

Hi Slap

I know your original post was years ago but for any new players I have found the following formula effective. For each mph of wind in any direction add or subtract 1ft of distance in whatever direction. 

Look at direction arrow and if not wholly a head tail or crosswind then its usually 2/3 or 1/2  to compensate. works for me....but  balls with lots of spin into the wind always need a bit extra!

C

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, May 15 2015 12:59 AM

Take note of some of the results.

I've noticed at a pre-ding drive (some might call it a hook) with backspin against a strong crosswind coming from left and blowing to the right might gain more distance than expected. Especially when compared to the post-ding (slice) drive against a wind blowing from right-to-left, which seems to lose a lot more distance.

(as also stated by Fatdan**)

I don't know if this is the magnus effect programmed into WGT gameplay but (long story short) when balls spin a certain way against different types of winds, they have varying aerodynamic results. But keep it simple, just make a note of your results.

When wind has a factor in some shots, I may choose to use the punch instead which travels at a lower traj. so, like the long irons, it's not affected so drastically as say a 9 iron full shot with a lot of back spin (ball goes up more, and spins*).

Flops that lob & travel high may be affected by high winds, too. (more than say a pitch or chip)

As I mentioned in the middle paragraph, spin on a golf ball in real life reacts with wind gusts and creates varying results. Just keep that in mind that this effect might be part of the programming in WGT. Maybe Icon will lets us know about that.

Simply, consider a punch if rewarding.

Be careful w/ adjusting spin, esp. back spin, in strong winds.

Sometimes when I drive to a narrow, bottleneck fairway in high crosswinds I may choose to add top spin to get the ball on the ground faster rather than risk it being blown into the brush OOB like on that STA hole (#5?) thus losing a ball.

fatdan:

When I barely hit early into the wind(pull) I find that the ball doesn't lose any distance in fact it's longer half the time...now when I barely miss into the wind late(push) it loses yardage....anybody else see that?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, May 15 2015 5:48 AM

Wind ? I despise wind, here and IRL, except when we get a dose of Santana wind (correct name even though most TV weather reporters mistakenly say "Santa Ana") which come in reverse off the desert and is dry, hot and constant at 40 mph + toward the ocean. Here, I'll pass, no fun, just irritability and more concentration than I enjoy. If I really want to place myself into a foul mood, I'll play Bof4's, UEL, heavy wind and champ greens ;-} 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, May 15 2015 6:27 AM

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, May 15 2015 9:19 AM

I got the first 3 album set. Great bundle!

wind calculator (Kat's)

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/225751.aspx?PageIndex=1

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 15 2015 9:56 AM

JFidanza:
    I got the first 3 album set. Great bundle!

.Sacred Fire: Live in South America.  The best.  :-)

• PAGES
RSS