Help › Forums

Playing the wind...ugh

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 15 2015 9:56 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SlapMcNasty
    260 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 10:12 AM

Hello everyone. I've been playing WGT for a short while now and love the game.

I went from Hack to Pro pretty fast, which seems not uncommon here. I have a set of clubs and golf balls I am happy with, and have even placed 3rd in a Ready-Go, shooting my first (and only) 29.

Unforetunately, the 29 was an "I'm on fire today" round, and nowhere close to my normal shooting. I seem to be stuck around 67-69 stroke average, and I always seem to fubar a good round with a smattering of bogeys. Matter of fact, it is not uncommon for me to shoot 3 under on 9 holes with 3 bogeys. If I can erase the bogeys I feel sure I would get to Master in a short time.

One of the biggest things that costs me strokes is wind.

I am wondering if there has been a post on these forums explaining how to better judge and play wind with varying clubs?

If anyone has advice or point me to a link that has solid information, I would be in your debt.

Thanks in advance,

Slap

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 11:05 AM

SlapMcNasty:
    If I can erase the bogeys I feel sure I would get to Master in a short time.

The wind issue can be better explained by another member, but I can tell you, post all your rounds and not just the good ones. You don't want to make Master to quick. Play the pro level and gain valuable course experience. Once you make Master, there's no going back.

Good luck.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 11:27 AM

slap,

Nothing real technical, but the wind is one of the biggest and unknown factors for all players here.

The one thing I can tell you is this, it helps a LOT to miss the meter ever so slightly on the side of the perfect hit line that the wind is blowing FROM. (ie, if the wind is right to left, missing it just to the right will help to start the ball out where you have aimed it.) if you miss to the DOWNwind side of the meter, all bets are off as to how the ball will even take flight, and the result can be anywhere from a little off, to completely disastrous. 

obviously, the faster the wind is moving the more you have to adjust your aim and adjust your approach angles, etc. and then you don't always have straight right to left ot LTR winds, they hit you  at differing angles and you have to adjust for that, too.

it's all about practice and experience!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 11:28 AM

Slap-There's no secret formula or anything for the wind, just plain experience.

There is one single thing you should be concerned with, especially with those lofty Pings-never, never, never (did I say never?) miss your shot on the downside of the wind. The effect is immediate on the ball and you're going to fly with the wind. Hitting on the side of the ding into the wind will lessen the effect and, in fact, is a quite effective way to offset it. For instance, a 20 mph crosswind off the tee is totally negated by hitting the first hash mark on the side of the wind-the shot will go straight. You lose some distance but you're in the fairway. Basically pulling the shot into a left to right or pushing the shot into a right to left wind will help keep the ball reasonably close to the target line. 

Eventually you will develop a "feel" for what's right but until then stay upwind. GL

1,644 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 11:47 AM

A common mistake that I find is that people tend to treat different strengths of wind like a linear relationship to the amount it will offset a normal shot.  This is definitely not the case. For example (just throwing numbers out there...) a 10mph direct L->R cross wind may move a middle Iron 4-5 yards, whereas the same direction at 20mph, same shot, will move it more than 10 yards because of the greater effect the wind has on the ball as it loses velocity in the air.  I certainly do not have it down to an exact science, but in time you will develop a feel for how different shots react with different winds.  And after that you can start playing with ways to counteract those effects, like mis-hitting into the wind, using a punch with topspin to keep it low for less effect, or full back spin to maximize carry with the wind.

Judging the wind and judging the break on putts are, by far the most experience dependent variables on here.  It just takes time, practice and a good memory.

Good luck and have fun! 

• SlapMcNasty
    260 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 11:49 AM

Richard - I totally understand what you are saying about "no going back". I admit the desire to compete against the best is ultimately what I want, but I do see the value in gaining that essential course knowledge while Pro. Thanks for that.

VanHalenLover & YankeeJim - Thanks for that. I guess I thought that maybe there was some table or chart I was missing about wind play. It affects all clubs differently, so it is indeed a challenge to get the feel for it.

I had a pretty good clue on missing the ding on the side of the wind to straighten the shot, but how much is tricky and very tough to control.

YankeeJim:
    For instance, a 20 mph crosswind off the tee is totally negated by hitting the first hash mark on the side of the wind-the shot will go straight.

Thanks for that tip, Jim. It's a good basis to start figuring this wind issue out.

Much obliged for the timely & valuable information. Thanks!

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 12:01 PM

Hi Slap,

I'm not sur how it works in real golf but here (especially at St. Andrew), when you have the wind towards you, place the red dot higher on the ball to give it more headspin and it's gonna have a better piercing power against it. With a tailwind, I leave it in the middle.

Rob

• SlapMcNasty
    260 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 4:54 PM

AvatarLee & SystemCrash - Thanks!

I was wondering if the Canucks might have some advice, and I am indeed honored to get some input from the likes of you two as well.

I feel good knowing that I am not missing something that I should have known before this, and indeed it will take time and practice to get this wind thing down.

I suppose my quest to compete at the top level is much like everyone elses'.

Practice, practice practice!

Cheers mates. See you on the links.

2010 WGT OPEN CHAMPION - Pro Division -  (lol that's a hell of a prediction, eh?),

SlapMcNasty

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 3:09 AM

SlapMcNasty:

2010 WGT OPEN CHAMPION - Pro Division -  (lol that's a hell of a prediction, eh?),

SlapMcNasty

ahem....you`ll be hitting off the tournament tees like everyone else mr! undefined

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 6:02 AM

I would read this thread, very good starting points.....

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/8987.aspx?PageIndex=1

Also it has worked for me, I use the aiming marker like in the thread posted above as a guide, I then starting taking notes and before you know it you know where to aim for every wind.  

• PAGES
RSS