Forums

Help › Forums

Re: putting help for #17 @ St. Andy's

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 16 2010 2:10 PM (8 replies)
  • broccoli
    222 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 5:48 AM

I was just faced with this shot for birdie. Needless to say, I bogeyed the hole. The putting grid hasn't shown up here for some reason, but the pin was 122ft away, 19in higher than my ball & there was approx. 20 feet of swing from right to left, so you'd have to aim at the rough to get it close.

My question is: has anyone facing this challenge actually got their putt anywhere near (or in) the hole yet?? I know it's possible, don't get me wrong, I was just wondering.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 6:40 AM

Broccoli, I think you posted the wrong screen shot. That's your second shot from the fairway. You should actually try to get your tee-shot as far right as possible. It will give you a straighter shot at  the pin.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 7:03 AM

Richard4168:

Broccoli, I think you posted the wrong screen shot. That's your second shot from the fairway. You should actually try to get your tee-shot as far right as possible. It will give you a straighter shot at  the pin.

That seems to be the result of his 2nd shot. 40 yards to the flag (see bottom right). I had a similar shot Friday and left it about 12 ft right of the hole. Made par, but I still don't know how. I caught the edge of the grass around the bunker and the ball hopped over it and rolled down the slope. 

If I'm left off the tee then I hit left of the green over that bunker and have a little chip or pitch to the flag. 2 pars that way so far.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 7:22 AM

I'm still confused. If that's the result of the second shot, why so far away? (I don't see the information bottom right). If I stay right on my tee-shot, I get a pretty straight shot into the green. The closest I've come to the pin here is 15' with the right wind, otherwise it's a hard fade and the results are less than desirable. I usually wind-up with bogey in that case. The draw/Fade feature will come in handy on this hole.

• broccoli
    222 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 8:54 AM

AlaCowboy: Thanks for the tip. I was going to try it, but my round was going so well I didn't want to risk it!

Richard: I shanked my drive 30yrds off to the left with my tee shot (due to v. bad timing), and then I hit my approach out of some 30-40% rough directly onto the steep front part of the green, so it rolled backwards down to the front of the green. I hit it as far as I could with my clubs, but it only went 145yrds. It's actually quite easy to do this when you play as badly as me! So I hope this satisfies your curiosity :)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 9:31 AM

broccoli:

I was just faced with this shot for birdie. Needless to say, I bogeyed the hole. The putting grid hasn't shown up here for some reason, but the pin was 122ft away, 19in higher than my ball & there was approx. 20 feet of swing from right to left, so you'd have to aim at the rough to get it close.

My question is: has anyone facing this challenge actually got their putt anywhere near (or in) the hole yet?? I know it's possible, don't get me wrong, I was just wondering.

I've been faced with this putt a few times, and sry to say, each time my putt has ended-up in the bunker to the left.

The last time I tried it, I looked it over more closely... Don't be fooled by the 19" height difference at the hole. You still have to go over a 2 foot + rise to even make it to the upper level of the green.

The 150ft power range didn't do it for me on my last attempt, so next time I pull my approach shot to this position, I'll have to try the 300ft range and hope I don't putt it into the wall. :/

BTW, the grid for this putt wasn't much of a help, because it didn't extend far enough onto the "upper section of the green". It kinda made the bunker look like the Black Hole in an old Simpsons episode I saw that Homer was toying with... lol.

I really don't know if we'd even be able to get this putt very close to the cup... it would be a welcome replay to see, for sure.

Good Luck

:^)

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 11:01 AM

Richard4168:

I'm still confused. If that's the result of the second shot, why so far away? (I don't see the information bottom right). If I stay right on my tee-shot, I get a pretty straight shot into the green. The closest I've come to the pin here is 15' with the right wind, otherwise it's a hard fade and the results are less than desirable. I usually wind-up with bogey in that case. The draw/Fade feature will come in handy on this hole.

Sorry my picture didn't show all. He is on the front left edge of the green. His post is the screen shot from the replay. In my post you can see the bunker and the hole is just behind it. Look at the hole layout in th bottom right of his picture. 

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 12:58 PM

broccoli:

Just finished a round and another player had nearly this same putt. He was a few feet further right, but 121 ft from the hole. He went to 150 ft meter, hit it about 135 ft, and was 13 ft past and to the right of the hole. He didn't have to putt through that patch of rough but I think that would have slowed him only enough to stop him closer to the hole. If your putt stays on the green I think about 130 ft strength will reach the hole. It slows going over that mound but speeds up on the downhill side. It IS an interesting putt.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 2:10 PM

I know what you guys are talking about now Ala. I too was there in an earlier round today. I thought that was part of the fairway. You can see the edge of the green in the zoom view. I bogeyed from there of course. lol

RSS